Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6, 2009, 12:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

We want to see all of them of course.

Honestly, I think a GTX 280 comparo would be great. The 285 results should be identical, the 260 fanbois can extrapolate, and those that can afford 295's won't care because they bought DDR3-2000 mem anyway.
Old February 6, 2009, 12:21 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Honestly, I think a GTX 280 comparo would be great. The 285 results should be identical, the 260 fanbois can extrapolate, and those that can afford 295's won't care because they bought DDR3-2000 mem anyway.
hahaha, well said
Old February 6, 2009, 12:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
thanks, that is good to know there is some interest in that sort of comparison. as you can imagine, benchmarking memory is quite boring to be honest. any kit at the same timings, frequency, etc...are going to perform the same.
I can imagne, overclocking them at least brings a bit of a break eh?

Quote:
i am always looking for things people want to see compared and then use the benchmark section of memory reviews to do that. i will try to make a triple channel VS dual channel comparison in an upcoming memory or motherboard review.
Awesome, I'll be looking forward to it then!

Quote:
i was also thinking of putting a 3x1GB kit of DDR3-1333 CL7 Kingston HyperX up against this Dominator 3x2GB DDR3-1600 CL8 kit to see how they stack up at stock clocks. time is of course my only restraint at this point but i might do this comparison in a motherboard review next then do the triple channel VS dual channel with the next kit of memory on my test bench. any particular tests you were interested in? specific games? i am unfortunately stuck to 1680x1050 resolution but is there a certain GPU you want to see used? single GTX 280 / GTX 260 216SP up to 3XSLI / single GTX 295 (should be here soon).
That all sounds great, seeing the difference(if any) from DDR3-1333 CL7 and DDR3-1600 CL8 would be great, if you do that, see if you can't throw in a DDR3-1866 CL9 kit, or OC one of the other kits to that speed. That would be interesting as that seems to be the general spread for sale when it comes to speeds.

As for the Dual vs Triple I think some interesting tests would be typically memory heavy programs such as Photoshop/cad rendering as well as h.264 encoding. As for games I think a mix of old and new would be great, games such as Left 4 Dead and Crysis Warhead showing the high demending/newish portion, with games like Unreal Tournament 3 and even Unreal Tournament 2004, while both being older games(with UT2004 being a MUCH older game) they should show the diffrences(if any) much better between various setups(Speed, Dual vs Triple, CL rating, etc) than a newer, more GPU dependent game would.

Since we'd be looking at how Ram effects raw FPS/performance, the GPU used should matter little, but I would think dual GPU's would thrash and show the differences in different RAM configurations more(due to increased overhead). I'm not too sure on that, though I'm sure a bit of research would shine light on it. That said, on the same token a single GTX260 core 216 or GTX280 would be more representative/relative of most enthusiast systems out there.

I'd glad to see glad to see you guys are actually interested in what we have to think(unlike some sites, I won't mention any names), and look forward to possible dual vs triple channel benchmarks.