Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2008, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need help with ram

I bought 8 gbs ram and last night I installed it on my Gigabyte p35 MB ( supports upto 8 gb ram)
this is what I bought and installed
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN Memory Kit

OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-18 DDR2 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

after installing my pc would boot then get to the welcome screen and freeze.
I had to do a hard boot.
after doing this a couple of times I pulled the OCZ memory and rebooted without any problems, I then shut down and swapped the corsair out with the OCZ and fired up the pc and it froze again so I know it is that memory, but just to be sure I looked at my Motherboard manual and it says that I can run upto 8 gb ram at a voltage of 1.8 ( this is where I am lost because I don't know anything about these kind of things) I checked the voltage of the corsair mem ( on the lablel) it says 1.8 but the OCZ doesn't tell you anything about volts and after a bit of searching I found this http://forums.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&msg_id=1856351&threadid= 1856351&forum=101&product_id=23482&msgcount=2&over clockid=0#msg1856351 so could thisd be my problem and if it is what what is your advice on fixing this? I went into the bios on my board but am not sure how( if I can) change this to the proper volts.
this is my board GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 1.0)

Last edited by Shadowmeph; December 13, 2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old December 14, 2008, 06:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I bought 8 gbs ram and last night I installed it on my Gigabyte p35 MB ( supports upto 8 gb ram)
this is what I bought and installed
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN Memory Kit

OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-18 DDR2 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

after installing my pc would boot then get to the welcome screen and freeze.
I had to do a hard boot.
after doing this a couple of times I pulled the OCZ memory and rebooted without any problems, I then shut down and swapped the corsair out with the OCZ and fired up the pc and it froze again so I know it is that memory, but just to be sure I looked at my Motherboard manual and it says that I can run upto 8 gb ram at a voltage of 1.8 ( this is where I am lost because I don't know anything about these kind of things) I checked the voltage of the corsair mem ( on the lablel) it says 1.8 but the OCZ doesn't tell you anything about volts and after a bit of searching I found this http://forums.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&msg_id=1856351&threadid= 1856351&forum=101&product_id=23482&msgcount=2&over clockid=0#msg1856351 so could thisd be my problem and if it is what what is your advice on fixing this? I went into the bios on my board but am not sure how( if I can) change this to the proper volts.
this is my board GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 1.0)
Hit "Del" as the PC starts, to enter BIOS. Now, hit Ctrl+F1(at the same time).I usually scroll down one or two sections(around "integrated peripherals") before doing this, as it can sometimes take a few tries to get the timing right.. for hitting both keys at the same time. By being down a few sections, you will know when you hit the keys right, because they will pop back up to the original top row("standard CMOS features"). Now that that's done, scroll down to the bottom,"MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)"..hit enter. Scroll down to near the bottom of the page, and where it says "System Voltage Control"..enter, then set to manual(i use the +/- keys on the far right of the keyboard to adjust values). Now right below that is "DDR Overvoltage Control"...change that value to +.2V, which will give the RAM 2.0v. Press F10, save and exit. if it reboots okay, then try and run some CPU/RAM intensive apps(Prime 95 is good) to stress the RAM, and make sure it's stable. If it's still unstable, or didn't even boot up.. reboot, enter the BIOS again, and set the DDRv to +.3v. repeat the past steps and reboot/test. If it still isn't stable/doesn't boot.. try once more, setting DDRv to +.4v(for a total of 2.2v). repeat all steps. If that doesn't stablize it...then it's time to RMA some RAM...there's a few possible reasons: 1. The different RAM sets don't play well together. 2. Your motherboard doesn't like one of the 2 sets of RAM. 3. Your motherboard doesn't like 4 DIMMS(sticks) or 8GB/RAM. GL
Old December 14, 2008, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
Hit "Del" as the PC starts, to enter BIOS. Now, hit Ctrl+F1(at the same time).I usually scroll down one or two sections(around "integrated peripherals") before doing this, as it can sometimes take a few tries to get the timing right.. for hitting both keys at the same time. By being down a few sections, you will know when you hit the keys right, because they will pop back up to the original top row("standard CMOS features"). Now that that's done, scroll down to the bottom,"MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)"..hit enter. Scroll down to near the bottom of the page, and where it says "System Voltage Control"..enter, then set to manual(i use the +/- keys on the far right of the keyboard to adjust values). Now right below that is "DDR Overvoltage Control"...change that value to +.2V, which will give the RAM 2.0v. Press F10, save and exit. if it reboots okay, then try and run some CPU/RAM intensive apps(Prime 95 is good) to stress the RAM, and make sure it's stable. If it's still unstable, or didn't even boot up.. reboot, enter the BIOS again, and set the DDRv to +.3v. repeat the past steps and reboot/test. If it still isn't stable/doesn't boot.. try once more, setting DDRv to +.4v(for a total of 2.2v). repeat all steps. If that doesn't stablize it...then it's time to RMA some RAM...there's a few possible reasons: 1. The different RAM sets don't play well together. 2. Your motherboard doesn't like one of the 2 sets of RAM. 3. Your motherboard doesn't like 4 DIMMS(sticks) or 8GB/RAM. GL
ok but according to the MB my ram can only run at 1.8 volts won't this be a problem? and isn't there a way to bring it down from 1.9 volt to 1.8 volts?
Old December 14, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

Your board can run memory higher than 1.8v but my concern is because the Corsair and OCZ are very different beasts they may not work well together.

If I get that your mixing them.
Old December 14, 2008, 10:52 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
You don't need to hit both keys at the same time. Press and hold CTRL, then press F1.
Old December 14, 2008, 10:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

Aside from the aforementioned possible issue of mixing RAM, it's worth noting that these days, every motherboard and their dog claims to support 8GB or higher. Unfortunately, in practice many have difficulty powering all 4 memory slots at once, and require a slight boost in voltage in order to stay properly stable. As long as you have half-decent airflow in your case, an extra 0.1 or 0.2 volts to your memory shouldn't be an issue for those sticks.
Old December 14, 2008, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Aside from the aforementioned possible issue of mixing RAM, it's worth noting that these days, every motherboard and their dog claims to support 8GB or higher. Unfortunately, in practice many have difficulty powering all 4 memory slots at once, and require a slight boost in voltage in order to stay properly stable. As long as you have half-decent airflow in your case, an extra 0.1 or 0.2 volts to your memory shouldn't be an issue for those sticks.
Yeppers...i have the same board as the OP, and i have no troubles running my 2x1GB 8500 Ballistix with my 2x1GB Corsair XMS 6400C4. I do always run with vDIMM @ +.4v(2.20v)in BIOS...which is ~2.05v real. But it could very well be the 8GB, as my 4DIMMs equal 4GB.
Old December 14, 2008, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok so I upped the volt .2 but it froze so I removed the corsair and just ran the OCZ and it appears to be running ok. I am going to try Prime 95 on it not sure how long to run it for

on a side not before I was running 4 gb 1 gb in each slot without any problems but they were all the same rand
Old December 14, 2008, 01:32 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Try Memtest first, as that should tell you whether or not there is a direct problem with the RAM. If you get errors, take out one stick of RAM and run again, then switch and do the same. If any one stick gives you errors, you'll know what needs to be RMAd
Old December 14, 2008, 01:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

memtest? I guess I should google it lol