Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2008, 08:54 PM
Banned

Default Confused about ram cooling do I need it or dont I?

I am getting conflicting results on this after asking people about it and looking on google. So I curently have OCZ Reaper clocked to 1200 pumping 2.12v in it and I have some Mushkin Ascent (for another machine) on order. So do I need some type of active ram cooling for eather one of them?
I curently am looking at Corsair Dominator Airflow Memory Fan or the Antec Spot Cool. That is if I need it at all. So can anyone help me out with this...I am more confused then when I started my search.
Thanks
Old December 4, 2008, 09:08 PM

My System Specs

For anything less than 2.2V I wouldn't worry about it. Even if over 2.2V I never found it beneficial. I've had sets of D9GMH die when it had good cooling. Now if we were talking BH-5 days and 3.6V+ then hell ya you needed cooling.
Old December 5, 2008, 12:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

You may not need it ! But i say it can't hurt anything:)
Old December 5, 2008, 01:00 PM
Banned
F@H

If your ram needs cooling, it comes with a fan. If it didn't come wit ha fan, then don't worry about it, and stay within rated specs.
Old December 5, 2008, 02:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
If your ram needs cooling, it comes with a fan. If it didn't come wit ha fan, then don't worry about it, and stay within rated specs.
That's not really a helpful answer. Some RAM(more notably DDR 4400/4800, etc.)didn't come with fans, but needed them.

@Gameplaywarrior: Run a stressful RAM test... Memtest 86+ or Prime95(Blend uses lots of RAM). Feel the heatspreaders, and if they're uncomfortably warm... maybe a fan would be a good idea. Alternatively.. it can't hurt to aim a fan towards your RAM, whether it's needed or not.. if you have a spare fan.. may as well, for your peace of mind.
Old December 5, 2008, 02:20 PM
Banned

Well I will pick up the spot cool like you guys said it cant hurt to have it there

I am using comon sence here (which I some times lack) I am assuming that the fan should force air onto the ram not draw the hott stuf away right?
Old December 5, 2008, 02:25 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
That's not really a helpful answer. Some RAM(more notably DDR 4400/4800, etc.)didn't come with fans, but needed them.

yes, I agree, but, in a stand for consumer rights, if a fan is needed, it should be clearly stated, or included with the product. If we don't require it, nothing will change. As much as it is a pain to rma(I almost have to RMA at least one thing each month), things like this will force OEM's to relase products that work as spec'ed, or not at all. I bought my DDR2 Microns @ $400 for 2gb, RMA'ed probably 20 times with all the sets I had. Due to the number of RMAs(not just me of course), Micron dropped supported boards, then changed the ram, then re-supported a slew of DDR2 boards.

that said, I don't need a fan on mine, but have one anyway. running 1.6v....rated voltage is 1.9v...
Old December 5, 2008, 04:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

i am running a spot cool on my 4 gig of gskill
Old December 5, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Seriously did you need to make ANOTHER thread on this.

The answer is still NO