Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2008, 10:21 PM
MVP
F@H

Default Cooling Mushkin Redlines - Corsair Dominator Cooler work?

Title! Just wondering if I'm gonna have to buy a cooler for my redlines.
Old November 16, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

What speed are you running them at? What voltage do you have going through them?

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old November 16, 2008, 11:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think you will have any need to cool those things. But to answer your question the cooler fits most ram as it actually clips onto the memory module itself so as long as you can see the green ends it'll attach. Some ram kits with extreme coolers that cover the ends of the memory modules.

Also this is in regards to the DDR21000 5-5-5-12 Set. If you are referring to the Ascent Redline's I'm not positive on that; Maybe MushkinGreg will see this and let you know.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 16, 2008, 11:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Put it this way the cooler is more of a gimic than it a necessity it does have that cool factor, but if you're not putting more than 2.2v into your modules than it isn't really required. The dominator series is corsair's "top of line" so of course they want to appeal to the etreme overclocker and to those that like the additional accessories, personally the added cost isn't worth it I am not interested in some fan as much as how well the chips overclock.

Stay away from this product OCZ Technology | Products | Cooling Products | OCZ XTC Cooler this is just begging you to short your videocard out if its too close.

EE
Old November 17, 2008, 12:47 AM
MVP
F@H

How do you mean it will short the gpu if too close?
Old November 28, 2008, 07:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I mean if your videocards touches the XTC cooler while powered it will short out.

This might help you to understand it better, electricity flows on an intended path when you introduce another conducting material it interupts that path causing the flow of electricity to change therefore your videocard dies and in the worse case that short can take other components with it.
Old November 28, 2008, 08:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
I mean if your videocards touches the XTC cooler while powered it will short out.

This might help you to understand it better, electricity flows on an intended path when you introduce another conducting material it interupts that path causing the flow of electricity to change therefore your videocard dies and in the worse case that short can take other components with it.
Simple solution, put electric tape on the side of the xtc that could possibly touch the video card. No more worries of shorting out.
Old November 28, 2008, 11:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

I have both the OCZ XTC ram cooler and the Corsair Dominator ram cooler and I can tell you this much:

1. The OCZ cooler is much louder than the Corsair, the retention system isn't as good, and it's pretty bulky. However, I have found it to be quite effective. Pair it up with a Zalman rheobus, and you are golden.

2. The Corsair Dominator cooler is a permanent piece of cooling in my system: easy to put on and remove, compatible with almost all ram (using it to cool my Mushkin Ascents PC2-8500 even with the crazy big heatsink apparatus they sport) and, once again, I find it to be pretty useful.

However, take this into consideration:

1. If you have good airflow in your case (I don't, being mostly watercooled), you might not need one .
2. If you run your ram at stock volts or not OC'ed, you might not need one.

All in all though, I think it's a worthwile investment.

Old November 28, 2008, 02:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As stated above...not needed if you fall into one of the above scenarios #rd by Synth. I find my Mushkin Redlines, although not OC'd run quite cool and the Heatsinks are ample.

Old November 29, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Agreed. My Redline Ascents at 2.0v doesn't need anymore cooling that just ambient airflow. As long as you're not overvolting it like crazy, it should be fine
I currently have a corsair dominator fan over it, pretty good and keeps it 5 C above ambient

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W