Default p5q-e + patriot memory problem

hi to everyone!

specs:
e8400(can go easly at 4.6ghz)
asus p5q-e
patriot viper series pc2-8500 1066mhz
8800gt
corsair hx520

here's the deal, i just bought my self a new asus p5q-e to replace my old ga p35-ds3r because the mobo was limiting my oc. I went with the asus one because i heard alot of good things about it. My patriot memory was working fine on my p35 ds3r and overclocked no higher then 1094mhz. it didnt realy matter because i was using a divider anyways but now on my asus mobo they wont work at rated speed. The motherboard boots fine with the memory set anywhere between 800mhz to 1100mhz but fails memtest test7 withen the first minutes when memory is set in the mid 900's mhz up to rated speed(or over). i tried vdimm from 1.8v to 2.4v. i tried all timings and sub timings possible and even NB voltage. i also tried one stick at a time in each 4 slots. it will always fail test7 no matter what unless the speed is set in the low 900's. i also get a bsod when running occt memory test

then i tried some old corsair xms2 800mhz that i know they are capable of 1030mhz and they work fine.

my cpu was overclocked at 4000mhz when performing the tests, and is 100% stable running prime95 it can go up to 4.5ghz before showing signs of instability

do you ppl had a similar experience when running this particular mobo/memory combo? or maybe this motherboard needs particular settings to run ram properly?

thx for the help
Old November 11, 2008, 09:52 AM
Mushkin Rep.

Try these.
FSB to NB Strap: 266 or 333
DRAM Frequency: 1066Mhz
CAS# Latency: 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge: 18
RAS# to RAS# Delay : 4
Row Refresh Cycle Time: 60
Write Recovery Time: 6
Read to Precharge Time: 5
READ to WRITE Delay (S/D): 10
Write to Read Delay (S): 4
WRITE to READ Delay (D): 5
READ to READ Delay (S): 6
READ to READ Delay (D): 6
WRITE to WRITE Delay (S): 5
WRITE to WRITE Delay (D): 6
WRITE to PRE Delay: 14
READ to PRE Delay: 6
PRE to PRE Delay: 1
ALL PRE to ACT Delay: 6
ALL PRE to REF Delay: 6
DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled(Try enabled later)
DRAM Read Training: Auto
MEM. OC Charger: Auto
AI Clock Twister: Lightest
AI Transaction Booster: Manual
Common Performance Level: 7-9 depending on stability, lower will result in better performance.
Pull-In of CHA PH1: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHA PH2: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHA PH3: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHA PH4: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH1: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH2: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH3: DISABLED
Pull-In of CHB PH4: DISABLE

DRAM Voltage: 2.0-2.1 (or rated)
NB Voltage: 1.26v

This should get the ram stable @ default fsb speeds if it is going to.

If still having issues, I'd move onto this bios.
Modded ASUS P5Q/Pro/Deluxe/Premium BIOS - XtremeSystems Forums
These bios' have been user modified to contain the best memory tables for memory compatibility over all the p5q series boards.
Old November 11, 2008, 10:37 AM
Top Prospect

thank you very much! i was actually reading one of your post on ncix. do you think it is possible to overclock using those settings because my goal was to push them more since my cpu is capable.

or maybe i should go with muskin ascent? i heard they overclock well on the p5q-e

i am at work now so when I,m finished i'll go home and try the modded bios and the settings you gave me
Old November 11, 2008, 10:48 AM
Mushkin Rep.

Yes overclocking should go easy, only change Common Performance Level: 9 should reach >500 fsb bios normally, might need 10.

Other then that, RAS# to RAS# Delay : 5 can sometimes help too, especially near max fsb on a quad core.

The ascent are a great kit, mine bought @ ncix ran 1131Mhz and 1151Mhz respectively using tighter timings then above.

I have noticed many having issues, with all p45 chipsets, which is normal for a newer chipset. This is why i recommend trying those user made bios'.
Old November 11, 2008, 11:17 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkinGreg View Post
Yes overclocking should go easy, only change Common Performance Level: 9 should reach >500 fsb bios normally, might need 10.

Other then that, RAS# to RAS# Delay : 5 can sometimes help too, especially near max fsb on a quad core.

The ascent are a great kit, mine bought @ ncix ran 1131Mhz and 1151Mhz respectively using tighter timings then above.

I have noticed many having issues, with all p45 chipsets, which is normal for a newer chipset. This is why i recommend trying those user made bios'.

i remember last night setting performance level to 9,10,11,12,13 and it still didnt worked as for RAS to RAS i am not sur but what i know is that i upped all subtimings to arround 3 more then stock and it still didnt worked. i tried each and every possibilies in the timings and voltages menu to no avail.

but i will try your suggestion and the modded bios
Old November 11, 2008, 01:40 PM
Top Prospect

hi greg,

just a quick question

if i go the muskin route, i need ram that is completely compatible with the p5q-e and that overclocks very well. wich one would you choose between these models

-996593 (i know they are only 1000mhz, but if they overclock better, then why not)

or maybe do you have an other suggestion?

thx very much
Old November 11, 2008, 02:29 PM
Mushkin Rep.

The redlines are normally great overclockers, but if >1066Mhz is a must, the ascents 996619 would be my choice as they are amazing.

The redlines are also a great value, so if 500FSB 1:1 is good enough or 1040-1080mhz , they would be the way to go.
Old November 11, 2008, 05:16 PM
Top Prospect

greg,

i have tried the following

-i have put my cpu at stock (333mhz fsb) and put my memory speed to 1066mhz. everything else was on auto, everything went well memtest passed

-then i overclocked just a little bit cpu at 335mhz fsb and mem to 1072mhz and it passed memtest (anything over that wasnt working for the memory)

-so i was wow memory is working at rated and over.

- i then tried my cpu oced at 4ghz wich is 456mhz fsb (remind you it is prime stable) with memory strap at 333mhz so the meory was set at 913mhz. and it didnt pass...

- then i tried all the settings you posted and nb voltage to 1.26v and kept the memory at 913mhz and still didnt passed test7

-then i tried over 913mhz in the 1000's and same thing.

now i am wondering if it is a mobo issue but i am not sure how can the mobo be capped at that speed

i didnt try the modded bios yet but i need you to reply on this first pls

thx
Old November 11, 2008, 05:26 PM
Mushkin Rep.

Try
fsb term 1.20-1.28
cpu pll 1.52-1.56
then more cpu voltage could be needed too.
Try cpu vcore 1.28-1.38v
NB voltage: 1.28-1.37v

Does this help at all?
Old November 11, 2008, 05:47 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkinGreg View Post
Try
fsb term 1.20-1.28
cpu pll 1.52-1.56
then more cpu voltage could be needed too.
Try cpu vcore 1.28-1.38v
NB voltage: 1.28-1.37v

Does this help at all?
oh btw i forgot to mention that when i tried your suggested subtimings the pc would not post so i have put back everything to auto

now i did this

cpu fsb 456
memory strap 333mhz
memory speed 913mhz
everything else is auto
fsb term 1.28
cpu pll 1.56
vcore 1.425v (just to make sure)
NB voltage:1.36v

still wont pass test7