Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2008, 07:36 PM
Rookie

Default D530 SFF and GKILL F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX issues

Hello all

i had issues with My PC before with a new CPU and Ram that i got, but i found out its was due to out of spec Ram which was why i had so many issues with it, figues with Ebay special crap Ram.

but anyway i figured on buying some good ram so i bought a 2gb kit from GSKILL (F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX).

it came in the other day, so i put my newer CPU in (3.2ghz P4 800mhz FSB northwood) and installed the Ram and reset CMOS. the system came stock with a P4 2.8ghz 533mhz FSB northwood, with 2x 256mb PC2700.

well the Ram is seen as PC2700 333mhz in system info in bios but the SPD in the Ram shows PC3200 400mhz but the system runs it as PC2700.

what i figure since this is a HP mobo (looks like a looks like a ASUS P4SD LA ,i think either a stingray or cobra model) the BIOS has all of those features hidden away so you cant adjust them.

so the system is stuck with 2.5v for the memory.

what i am leaning towards is that the Ram has the timings of 2-3-2-5 the system is forcing itself to use it as PC2700 so it can use those timings in SPD since it only outputs 2.5v

the only way for me to fix this is to have the Rams SPD rewritten for a looser timing set like 2-3-3-5, or 2.5-3-2-5 or something that will run off ov 2.5v and be able to run in PC3200 mode.

i have downloaded SPDtools and memset and systool. the easiest to use is memset, the one that has most options is SPDTools.

i dont want to sent this Ram back and have it replaced with another diffrent set. so my only choice is to rewrite the SPD but i dont want to void my warranty.

but if all else fails i will be forced to do it myself, but i will need help on what to set. the program i will more then likely use is SPDtool.

right now i am running the stock CPU with the GKILL Ram, it runs so much better then with the crap Ram that was in it, but that isnt what i wanted to do, i wanted PC3200 so i can use my newer CPU, if i use my newer CPU with PC2700 it also underclocks the Ram cause its being seen as PC2700 and that makes it run really slow.

Last edited by madmax_2069; November 5, 2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old November 5, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If there is no way to change the FSB rating or ramspeed rating in the bios then my friend you are out of luck, unless by some sort of magic someone here knows how to hack the hidden features. Its also likely that the motherboard does not support the rated FSB or memspeed that you are trying to obtain. I suggest contacting HP tech support and asking them about your current system and what the motherboard currently supports, you might get lucky and find a bios update that will allow you too use your faster cpu and memory or maybe not.

I gather this is your PC HP Compaq d530 Small Form Factor Desktop PC- Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center and you checked to see that you have latest bios.

Regards,

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; November 5, 2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old November 5, 2008, 10:48 PM
Rookie

I do know my system, that is why i bought the newer CPU and thats why ( from the help of Neweggs memory config) i selected the GSKILL Ram. before i got the system i knew what it could support by looking through the docs about the system and what it could take. I didnt however know that the system would scale back the Ram to PC2700 to support the faster Ram timings at 2.5v.

the mother board supports FSB speeds of 400, 533, and 800 and a CPU speed up to 3.2ghz, supports PC2100, 2700 and 3200 in dual channel up to 4gb.

like i said the cheap generic ram that i bought (from ebay) ran at PC3200 speeds but was made with such slow and crappy parts (must have been orignally PC2100 with the SPD rewritten to run at PC3200 speeds with high timings and a bunch of errors). but the memory tests gave a warning of a slow chip bus and the ram had allot of errors, with the generic ram paired with the stock CPU which run the ram at PC2700 speeds it only has 2 errors but still gives me the warning

but with this PC3200 Ram from GSKILL i think the timings are so tight the motherboard forces the ram to run at PC2700 speeds to try to use the tight timings at 2.5v. using CPU-Z the SPD on the GSKILL shows as PC3200 (400mhz) but i think the mobo is over riding that to use the tight timing.

there has to be a way to change this.

i am trying to find out what to set in SPDtool so i can set the ram at 2-3-3-5 or something that will work at PC3200 speeds at 2.5v

i have the next to latest bios wich is 2.43. the next version only adds a security feature and nothing else, people on the HP forums tell people unless they need these security features to stay away from that version cause sometimes it will screw with the system. i do have upto date microcode tho.

Last edited by madmax_2069; November 5, 2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old November 6, 2008, 08:38 PM
Rookie

Just to show you that it does support the 800mhz FSB here is CPU-Z
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...U-ZCPUinfo.jpg

but since the ram is being seen as PC2700 it gets underclocked
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...memoryinfo.jpg

and here is the SPD in the ram
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...U-ZSPDinfo.jpg

the crap generic PC3200 ran at PC3200 400mhz that also had a CPU to memory ratio of 1:1 but it was junk ram and had allot of errors and showed a slow bus warning in sandra and using a memory tester and ran worse then the underclocked GSKILL

so i know that it isnt the MOBO cause it does support PC3200 but maybe not at that tight of a timing at 2.5v, it has to be something in the SPD that my system does not like and makes the Ram run at PC2700

Last edited by madmax_2069; November 6, 2008 at 09:01 PM.