Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2008, 12:11 PM
Allstar

Default WTB Ram and some questions about Dell server

I was given a Dell Precision 470 with Dual Xeon 3.0ghz and 1gig (2x512) pc3200 registered ram. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it just yet. I was hoping someone here would have some ram I can buy that can be used in this computer. Chances are I'll set it up to be a home server or something. I was also hoping to get another case for it but I'm not entirely sure if that's possible given how Dell likes to go proprietary. I did open it up to try and find out the socket (604) and the power supply is nothing like I've ever seen before. It's about 6" wide and 2 feet long. Takes up the whole botton (or side, depending how you stand the case).

So yeah, if anyone has dealt with one of these before and can give me some info that would be fantastic. I'd probably consider selling it also. I'm kind of undecided at the moment as you can tell.

I wasn't sure where to put this thread as it covers so many topics so feel free to move it if necessary.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 24, 2008, 01:13 PM
Allstar

Well, its a workstation. Sometimes, they are even TRIPLE REDUNTANT. Meaning, they can smoke anything you can buy at NCIX LoL. ANd funny thing is, its a PC Power and Cooling product. Very strong power considering the age of the thing. I bet the motherboard ISNT all that proprietary. Its probably an Intel mobo. Its the Intel 7525 Chipset. Might be able to boot strap intel drivers on it. Maybe not. Just the drill holes might be differant. I dont think Dell was in the chipset business back than. It runs ECC since its originally a workstation machine. And this is where its gonna get funky for you. It runs Ultra320 15k 36 GB scsi drives. I dont think your gonna have any room on it if you run a vista station as a server with all updates. Your gonna need to buy drives. But, REAL xeon processors.
Old October 24, 2008, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I was given a Dell Precision 470 with Dual Xeon 3.0ghz and 1gig (2x512) pc3200 registered ram. I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it just yet. I was hoping someone here would have some ram I can buy that can be used in this computer. Chances are I'll set it up to be a home server or something. I was also hoping to get another case for it but I'm not entirely sure if that's possible given how Dell likes to go proprietary. I did open it up to try and find out the socket (604) and the power supply is nothing like I've ever seen before. It's about 6" wide and 2 feet long. Takes up the whole botton (or side, depending how you stand the case).

So yeah, if anyone has dealt with one of these before and can give me some info that would be fantastic. I'd probably consider selling it also. I'm kind of undecided at the moment as you can tell.

I wasn't sure where to put this thread as it covers so many topics so feel free to move it if necessary.
Memory Cost for 2gb: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair PC2-3200 CM75DD2048R-400 2GB 1X2GB DDR2-400 ECC Registered 240PIN DIMM Memory - CM75DD2048R-400 In Canada. $250

Non-Redundant PSU.. just extra long to provide power for the dual xeon chips.

Heres the specs:
Dell Precision 470

Personally.. I'd be hooking this bad boy up and putting it to work folding.. it'd kick serious ass.
Old October 24, 2008, 08:51 PM
Allstar

exactly what enaberif said. Real xeons dont exist anymore either. Its a makrketing gimmick. THat looks one of the last server instruction sets for a xeon. You could even have one chip running Boinc, and the other chip running your servers for whateva. Its a hardcore machine. Wanna seeelll it?
Old October 24, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] View Post
exactly what enaberif said. Real xeons dont exist anymore either. Its a makrketing gimmick. THat looks one of the last server instruction sets for a xeon. You could even have one chip running Boinc, and the other chip running your servers for whateva. Its a hardcore machine. Wanna seeelll it?
.. Real Xeons still exist :P

NCIX.com - Buy Intel Xeon E5410 Quad Core 2.33GHZ LGA771 12MB 1333FSB Harpertown Retail Processor W/ Active HSF - BX80574E5410A In Canada.
Old October 25, 2008, 07:37 AM
Allstar

Actually, as it stands right now there are no hard drives, sound card or optical drives. Not a big deal obviously as that stuff is pretty cheap. The ram is a bit expensive but not horribly so. I'm still hoping someone here has some for cheap:) Also, can't I go with PC2-5300? Won't it just run at 3200 speeds? It would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

So it looks like I'm probably stuck with that horrible case considering the power supply. I may take it out though and see if I can find a way to jimmy it into my Silverstone TJ05-BX. If so I can always get another case for my main computer :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. And yes, I might just consider selling it.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 25, 2008, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Actually, as it stands right now there are no hard drives, sound card or optical drives. Not a big deal obviously as that stuff is pretty cheap. The ram is a bit expensive but not horribly so. I'm still hoping someone here has some for cheap:) Also, can't I go with PC2-5300? Won't it just run at 3200 speeds? It would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

So it looks like I'm probably stuck with that horrible case considering the power supply. I may take it out though and see if I can find a way to jimmy it into my Silverstone TJ05-BX. If so I can always get another case for my main computer :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. And yes, I might just consider selling it.
This is a server not a desktop.. you need to put in what it asks for.