Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2008, 06:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Mushkin HP2-6400 & P5N-E Timing Advice

So I just got this set of 2x2GB Mushkin HP2-6400 (part 996587). I currently have it set at 879MHz @ 5-4-4-12. All of this is at the lowest selectable voltage in my BIOS 1.9something.

The reason for the speed at that odd number is I can only get my Q6600 to 2.63GHz and I have the memory linked and set to auto, which is sitting at a 2:3 ratio.

So it is fine and working good at these settings but I would like to push the memory a bit more by changing the ratio and would like to know if any one (maybe Greg) know what timings I should use. Particularly all the rest of the timings besides just the first four.

Here is a shot of CPU-Z so you can see what it is at right now.

Old September 29, 2008, 10:53 AM
Mushkin Rep.

Can you run, linked memory mode, SYNC ?
This is where your best performance will be had no doubt.

From there, try these

tCL(CAS Latency) 4-5
tRCD 4
tRP 4
tRAS 12
Command Per Clock (CMD) 2
tRRD 4(3-4)
tRC 31(26-31)
tWR 6(3-6)
tWTR 11(9-11)
tREF 7.8us
tRD 9 (7 to 9)
tRFC 60(50-60)
Async Latency : Auto

Voltage 1.9-2.0v
Old September 29, 2008, 06:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks. I will give those a shot and let you know.

Old September 30, 2008, 08:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I gave that a try and did not have good results. Now I didn't have a bunch of time to fiddle with things but it just did not work.

I set the timings like you said and it would get past POST but would lock up as it was getting into Vista. With regards to the sync setting, I didn't really go for that as if I set it to that it would set the memory at 586Mhz, so I'm not sure how that would achieve better performance.

Anyways, I set the timings and tried it at a 3:2 ratio what gave me 938Mhz(?, about that forgot exactly). Now that did not get into Vista as I mentioned, so I set the speed back down to 879MHz and tried again. Again it would not get into Vista, at that point I just set all of the timings back to auto, except for the tCL, tRCD, tRP, and tRAS. After that it went back into Vista.

So I'm thinking that it is most likely not your timings, but my board. This P5N-E SLI board just doesn't seem to like anything with memory and even quad cores can't OC very well on it. I'm thinking I might just have to leave it the way it is until I can get a new motherboard.

I will try to play with it all again as soon as I have time, maybe tonight, and will let you know if I get anywhere.

Old September 30, 2008, 12:04 PM
Mushkin Rep.

2 things might solve that
1. Bios update.
2. SLI Memory : Expert
Old September 30, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well for the BIOS update, I'm using the newest BIOS they have and have tried others before hand. What really makes me wonder is before I could get the FSB up to 300MHz (1200MHz) which gave me 2.7GHz on my Q6600 and ran my memory (older OCZ memory 2GB of it) a bit faster than what I have this at. The thing is I wiped my old Vista 32bit and put on Vista 64bit and now it will not boot into Vista if it is set like that. Not sure how or why it would make such a difference.

As for the SLI setting, I did have it set like that before, and had no luck. But I will give it another shot to see what I can do.

Thanks for the suggestions Greg.

Old September 30, 2008, 07:00 PM
Mushkin Rep.

Try testing stable in with prime95 25.6 64bit this time, not jumping to that fsb right away.
Due to using the x64 part of the processor now, this could be where the issue lies.