Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Buy/Sell & Trade > Price Check

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2015, 07:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
This is a very good point, and as things happen this particular model cannot run anything newer than 10.7 IIRC...(we are up to 10.10 I think?) unless you "hackintosh" it. But at that point OP is putting way too much effort in unless he really needs to run old software.

Also those early Mac Pros took DDR2 FB-DIMMs so unless it is coming to you decked out, you will spend a lot on RAM afaik.
you're right, missed that detail!!! Thanks again!

I'll just let someone else get that useless brick ... my friend is asking 400$ for it and that would be way too much even after negotiations because I could get a LGA771 Dell workstation with similar specs that would only be 100$ and those don't need fully buffered RAM !
Old August 14, 2015, 07:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Surely there's needy hipsters that could you could donate those old macs to JD, or at least trade for some very expensive 'cheap looking' skinny jeans?
Sadly, as a large corporation, there's too many political issues around that.

That being said, we recently took one of these models and put 24GB of RAM into it, hopefully it can run Windows and we can use it as a lab server. I think it even has a HD4850 in it too.
Old August 15, 2015, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

$400?! I built an Ivy Bridge ITX Hackintosh for the same price from used parts here and probably run circles around it.