Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Price Check (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/price-check/)
-   -   IBM x3500 Server (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/price-check/62011-ibm-x3500-server.html)

TerenceJ July 4, 2013 06:23 PM

IBM x3500 Server

So my work was upgrading their server, and offered the old server to anyone who wanted it. Being me, I decided to take it in case there might be something good inside!! To behonest I have never worked with server computers. And the thing looks kinda foreign to me. The only thing it is missing is HD's and operating system. Could this be useful to anyone? How much would it be worth? Any info greatly appreciated, thanks!:thumb:

the_guitarboy July 4, 2013 07:29 PM

There should be more to the model #. X3500 M2/M3/M4

odis172 July 4, 2013 07:30 PM

Depends on the specs, what is the cpu? Any ram?
How many hard drive bays are there, 2.5 or 3.5, and how many? Tower or rackmount?
Whats the full model number?

TerenceJ July 4, 2013 10:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ohhh ok thx guys, I got some pics

Also I found the Product ID: 7977L2U and MT:7977

I believe the only thing removed were the hard drives for obvious reasons. Appears to take 2.5" drives. I can see there is RAM installed, I can't tell what size though. I think I see 4 sticks. Very difficult spot to see though. And it looks like a single CPU installed, even though there are 2 sockets.

stlouis1 July 4, 2013 11:10 PM

I just sold an IBM X3650 with a pair of quad-core Xeon 5345's, 32gb ram and no hard drives for 300$ the other day. But the 3650 is rack mountable, has a SATA/SAS controller and 6 hot-swap bays, plus 2 redundant power supplies.

maybe that will help give you an idea? depending on the configuration of the 3500, especially without hard drives, not being rack mountable, at most I wouldn't pay more than 200-250, but if its a single quad with less ram, I'd be going lower

One thing to keep in mind, that server takes FB-DIMM's for ram, if you would need to add ram to it, don't bother because you'll pay out the @$$ for it

socket 771 CPU's are cheap on ebay though, you can get pairs pretty cheap if it needs a cpu upgrade. Some servers require a larger bios though for certain cpu upgrades, which is why you'll often see kits that come with the preflashed bios to swap in for example. My Sun X2200 was like that, and i've seen HP do that as well

BlueByte July 5, 2013 07:21 PM

I used to install a lot of those, For your own playing around at this point it will be fine until it breaks. IBM will make parts for it for 20 years and charge $700 for a replacement X part by the end of it. AT that point you laugh and trash.

Cptn Vortex July 8, 2013 08:29 AM

Looks like the CPU might be an E5430. Not a bad quadcore chip. But that server will be power hungry, and loud. Also it takes DDR2 FBDIMMS, which are definitely not cheap. In terms of processing power/speed, you're probably better off with a newer i3 CPU and cheap DDR3 RAM.

You may be better off parting that server for parts, as Bluebyte says, replacement parts direct from IBM are not cheap!