Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > Buy/Sell & Trade > Price Check

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2011, 10:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Question Small business for sale?

Figured I'd throw this out here first before posting in the real BST forum.

I started a small sleeving business a while back. Unfortunately, real work prevented me from doing hobby work as mortgages and bills don't pay themselves at the end of the month.

I already sold off the supplies (MDPC sleeving) and now I am thinking of selling the website that went with it.

The domain is customsleeving.com.

With the site I will also include the very first 6pin PCIe cable that I made from scratch :)

For anyone who would want to get into this on a more professional level and have a great website/domain to use, this would be a perfect start.

What do you guys figure this is worth on the open market?
Old October 15, 2011, 10:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly, without all the supplies and no website it won't be worth much. It is a simple domain though, so you might get some money if you auction the domain off, but it is a very select market.
Old October 15, 2011, 11:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Honestly, without all the supplies and no website it won't be worth much. It is a simple domain though, so you might get some money if you auction the domain off, but it is a very select market.
Appreciate the quick response.

Any idea what a fair price would be though? I don't want to blow smoke up my own ass, but for the short while that I did utilize the site for its' intended purpose, I did make a nice chunk of change, even without a full blown e-commerce site.
Old October 16, 2011, 03:27 PM
MVP

I know I'm kind of stating the obvious, but the domain might only have value to someone who wants to get into the business of custom sleeving... Unless you have a lot of traffic, it's essentially worthless IMO.
Old October 16, 2011, 07:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
I know I'm kind of stating the obvious, but the domain might only have value to someone who wants to get into the business of custom sleeving... Unless you have a lot of traffic, it's essentially worthless IMO.
I think that is rather implied and obvious, a domain like that is only useful to someone who wants to get into that kind of business.
Old October 16, 2011, 08:42 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artel View Post
I think that is rather implied and obvious, a domain like that is only useful to someone who wants to get into that kind of business.
I didn't want to only reply that I thought your domain had little or no value. But in hindsight, I can appreciate it was worthless to add.

You stated that you're selling a web site; in addition to the domain name, what does that include? When I browse to the site, I see a single image. Do you have any other content or infrastructure?

Does the domain get a lot of traffic? If so, how much? Have you had many customers? Traffic, customers, content and other assets, of course, add value and effect the value of the estimate you're requesting.

I think the name is so generic that someone else providing the same service may be unwilling to offer very much above the cost of registration for the domain alone.

Have you considered reaching out to others who provide the same service? Like this guy?

Custom Cable and PSU Sleeving Service - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Old October 16, 2011, 08:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
I didn't want to only reply that I thought your domain had little or no value. But in hindsight, I can appreciate it was worthless to add.

You stated that you're selling a web site; in addition to the domain name, what does that include? When I browse to the site, I see a single image. Do you have any other content or infrastructure?

Does the domain get a lot of traffic? If so, how much? Have you had many customers? Traffic, customers, content and other assets, of course, add value and effect the value of the estimate you're requesting.

I think the name is so generic that someone else providing the same service may be unwilling to offer very much above the cost of registration for the domain alone.

Have you considered reaching out to others who provide the same service? Like this guy?

Custom Cable and PSU Sleeving Service - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net
Agreed with everything above :)

I wouldn't be providing any infrastructure or content, but hey, that's something easy enough to slap together with Joomla or whatnot these days :P

I will be reaching out to other PC enthusiast communities to see if there's any interest there.
Old October 16, 2011, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Service companies do not worth much, unless you can prove solid recurring revenue figures. Another disadvantage that without you as cable sleever, you business is not viable unless replacement is in place.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 16, 2011, 10:21 PM
MVP

I wouldn't pay a nickel for it. Too many easy variations on the 2 words. Given what you've said, that there's no content, though you haven't disclosed traffic - I can make an educated guess that it's pretty small. Even if you had a customer database, unless it was thousands of names it really isn't worth much. That said, you might reach out to someone like...I dunno, just for example Corsair, or other companies that do products related to the name, see if you can flog it off for...what they're willing to pay.

Pardon the plain language, if you would please. No insult is intended.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite