Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5, 2008, 04:11 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Excuse me? Nobody was complaining it was simply something I did not like. I don't like seeing my task manager FULL of chrome processes. I'm sure they could thread it so each one is still a process of a main process or something of the nature.
Read the info Google released about this browser.

What you are suggesting is multi-threading. This is multi-processing, which is exactly what Google intended. An error in one browser window/tab will not take down the entire browser, as they are being run in separate processes with their own address space. Each process can run with different settings and permissions (which is how Google attained their "Incognito" mode so easily).

Sorry if your task manager suddenly looks unappealing to you.
Old September 5, 2008, 04:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkinGreg View Post

I bet I can give you many more things to be paranoid about, much more intrusive things , like microsoft's ability to remove any software from your pc remotely, or install windows updates when auto updates been disabled, without your knowledge.
Microsoft have never been able to remove any software form you PC ? Maybe your thinking about apple and the iPhone... they can kill any app on your system..but thats another story
And yes there are things out there in internet land that we should be cautious of. I'm not paranoid at all , just trying to point out something to be cautious of.

I look at the facts and then make a decision based on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkinGreg View Post
Again, google can't say no to the gov, thats the issue not google.
Actually that is not entirely true....... Google did not exist in China, they went over there and courted the Chinese to get in the country.They did not HAVE to agree with the government over there, they could have just remained out of the country. But to get the buisness and make more money they agreed.

Again if your happy using it thats great. All i suggest to people is to have a good look at the facts and decide for yourself ;)

Last edited by LooseCannon; September 5, 2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old September 5, 2008, 07:13 PM
Allstar

There are still privacy and security issues to be addressed. AMongst them the fact that since it uses the same basic engine as Safari, it's subject to the "carpet-bomb" attack vulnerability that plagued that browser. It's an interesting concept but I'll wait till final release. Right now it gets played with on my test machine. For everyday use I'll stick to my regular browser.
Old September 6, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Chrome is just the start of much bigger things apparently.

Google reigns as world's most powerful 10-year-old: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

1x240 GB Mushkin Chronos Enhanced SSD - 1x500 GB Seagate Hybrid Momentus - 1X2 TB Western Digital Green - Pioneer DVR-212D - Antec P182 - Rosewill Photon 850 - 2X24" Acer G246HYL - Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old September 6, 2008, 05:34 PM
Rookie

I like the speed and the fact that it runs separate threads, but it's not as transparent as I'd like. Whenever I'm on a site reading an article (and the pc is effectively idling), the cpu usage goes up (and task manager says it's chrome) and the HDD starts churning away for no apparent reason. Anyone else notice this? My PC is pretty much silent, so having the HDD seek is very noticeable and annoying. WTH is it doing?

Oh, and it desperately needs AdBlock Plus...
Old September 7, 2008, 09:10 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid2d4x4 View Post
I like the speed and the fact that it runs separate threads, but it's not as transparent as I'd like. Whenever I'm on a site reading an article (and the pc is effectively idling), the cpu usage goes up (and task manager says it's chrome) and the HDD starts churning away for no apparent reason. Anyone else notice this? My PC is pretty much silent, so having the HDD seek is very noticeable and annoying. WTH is it doing?
It is indexing your PC, well ok I can't prove that but it's the most logical reason to me. Another thing i have noticed is when idle chrome will spawn another thread and there is no reason for it to do that

Last edited by LooseCannon; September 7, 2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old September 7, 2008, 01:06 PM
Rookie

That's what it seems like to me too, and I really don't like it...
Hopefully someone else will pick up the chromium code and release a minimalist version that is strictly a browser and does absolutely nothing more than what it needs to in order to render pages.