Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2008, 07:20 PM
Allstar

Very different but I'm not enthusiastic. at this point. Will reserve final judggement for when it's out of beta.
Old September 3, 2008, 07:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Very different but I'm not enthusiastic. at this point. Will reserve final judggement for when it's out of beta.
hate to break it to ya.. but gmail is still in beta too.
Old September 3, 2008, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I love gmail. It is way better then hotmail.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old September 3, 2008, 08:33 PM
Allstar

Anandtech has an article on it ...

AnandTech: Google Chrome: Performance and First Impressions

Also, got this from a thread at abx from X-hellfire ...

EULA

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.

To make it simple. Everything you do (email, youtube movies, postin etc) with Crome is owned by Google. According to the License.
Old September 3, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
Any new browser is going to go under the microscope and be scrutinized. It happened with Mosaic, Netscape, Firefox, Opera, IE etc etc.
Old September 3, 2008, 10:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
To make it simple. Everything you do (email, youtube movies, postin etc) with Crome is owned by Google. According to the License.
So if you do something illegal it's owed by google not you
Old September 4, 2008, 09:09 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

This from Tom's Hardware... TG Daily - Chrome is a security nightmare, indexes your bank accounts
Old September 4, 2008, 09:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Not Bad

Well I'm pretty happy with Chrome as a quick, get er done, browser.

Of course the very first thing I tried to do in it I was disappointed. I went to interfacelift to get myself a new wallpaper and then <right><click> heh? No set as wallpaper option...

I like the "Create Application Shorcuts..." feature though. I've created a few desktop icons with it, HWC is one of them.

It's low on options but It's fast fast fast though so I may use it for a bit.

Old September 4, 2008, 12:14 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leclerc View Post
Using it since tomorrow and for a beta release I'm quite impressed.

Waiting for more ...
isnt supose to be yesterday???

LOL

i would have love more customisation option, for the temp folder size, history, and damn i hate the link they are providing use when you type a URL ......

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Last edited by ebdoradz; September 4, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old September 4, 2008, 11:02 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Tried it a little yesterday, so far I like the speed, omni box and the start page is alright too. Read the whole comic and what they say makes a lot of sense but I am not a developer per se. I don't mind the memory usage as that's what it is there for. I like the seperate process idea, makes sense to me. As time passes it will have more user created add-ons and better features just like FF. So far a from me on this beta.
Renders the same as Safari 3, more or less. You don't have anything extra to hack for. In fact, I have been working on an advanced JS/CSS system for the past couple of months. Chrome not only rendered it flawlessly, but did it in less time.

I'm loving it so far. It's a very early beta, obviously lacking in some areas, UI has issues (eg. a bad SSL problem, where it "looks" like a site does not have SSL if their certificate is invalid but secured). The "skin" is that way, I assume, to maintain OS portability. Hopefully they'll work on this, but it isn't a priority in anyone's book. The developer tools, although preliminary and basic, are AMAZING.

As for the guy complaining about memory, go away. I'm tired of explaining to people that RAM is there to be USED. It's a problem when the browser is using 500MB for 10 tabs of basic web pages. What you shouldbe complaining about is when memory is used inefficiently. Firefox handles memory inefficiently. Windows handles memory (somewhat) inefficiently. Chrome is one of the first pieces of general software that I've seen properly use multithreading (or multiprocessing) and memory.