Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2008, 12:56 AM
Associate Review Editor

Default Intel Nehalem Platform To Support SLI

That's right folks! Intel and NVIDIA have apparently set aside their differences long enough to agree on a SLI licensing deal for the upcoming Nehalem platform.
SANTA CLARA, CA—JULY 14, 2008—PC enthusiasts, manufacturers, and developers around the world have a lot to be excited about today with NVIDIA Corporation’s announcement that it will be bringing the power and performance of its SLI® multi-GPU technology to Intel’s upcoming line of Bloomfield CPUs. With this winning combination, consumers will have an SLI platform designed for current and future graphics-intensive games and applications; these platforms can be powered by one, two, or even three NVIDIA GeForce® GPUs, including the new, award-winning GeForce GTX 280 and GTX 260 GPUs.

New SLI motherboards will feature the NVIDIA nForce® 200 SLI processor, Intel Bloomfield CPUs, and Tylersburg (X58) chipsets. The nForce 200 SLI processor features patented SLI technology for graphics bandwidth management and multi-GPU peer-to-peer communications, both required to optimize graphics performance.

“With GeForce-based visual computing application, our customers are experiencing exciting new ways to interact with their photos and videos while also experiencing the bone-chilling realism from our latest graphics processors,” said Jeff Fisher, senior vice president of GPU business at NVIDIA. “Our SLI technology allows us to combine the power of hundreds of GeForce processing cores in multi-GPU configurations with Intel’s latest CPUs for platforms that are sure to excite our customers.”

Press Release.
Old July 15, 2008, 05:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

This is some great news. The question is how long we have to wait for these new boards to come out?

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old July 15, 2008, 06:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I wonder how much of an effect the current vid card market had on convincing Nvidia to finally give some ground on the SLI licensing issue?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 15, 2008, 06:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So because this is a chip, does this mean that we can now buy a board and then buy 2 of either ATI or nVidia cards? So therefore we can run SLI or Crossfire, whichever suits our tastes better?
Old July 15, 2008, 06:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I wonder how much of an effect the current vid card market had on convincing Nvidia to finally give some ground on the SLI licensing issue?
Haha, I definitely think Nvidia eased up due to the current market for sure!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 15, 2008, 01:44 PM

My System Specs

I wonder if the eVGA and XFX will be making X58 boards then...
Old July 15, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This sure makes it a lot better for the consumers. Although I guess it does somewhat make the choices for motherboards harder than it already is. But considering the Intel chipsets seem to be better overclockers so that should be nicer for people like me that already have the SLI setup.

Old July 15, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Can you say goodbye to quad cores and ddr2?..meh
Old July 15, 2008, 10:25 PM
Top Prospect

AMD is crying
Old July 15, 2008, 11:30 PM
Associate Review Editor

I seriously hope Intel got some cash from NVIDIA, because if it was a 1:1 licensing trade, then they got the short-end of the stick.