Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2008, 10:54 PM
Associate Review Editor

Default EVGA Unveils nForce 780i SLI FTW Motherboard

A few days ago, EVGA unveiled the nForce 780i SLI FTW motherboard:
"EVGA Designed For the Win: Capable of taking your entire system to the next level of performance. The 780i SLI FTW features support for up to a 3-Way SLI configuration with the latest in PCI-E 2.0 technology. With solid capacitors, an 8-Phase Power design, and on-board all ferrite core chokes, the 780i SLI FTW is more than capable of unlocking and keeping stable the true, extreme, potential from the latest 45nm Intel Processors. A convenient layout and onboard functions such as a Clear CMOS button, a Power and Reset button with integrated status LEDs, and a diagnostic LED readout provide ease of use. A simple yet effective system BIOS with easy overclocking features and voltage controls will get you up and gaming at incredible speeds in no time at all."

Press Release.

Product Page.
Old July 25, 2008, 02:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

I just bought this, I'll let you know if it's DOA or not!
Old July 27, 2008, 12:05 AM
Rookie

This is nice:
Quote:
ferrite core chokes
...but I'd still die before buying anything with an "eVGA" label. Too many burned memory modules...too many vid cards that give "nvlddmkm.sys has stopped working" error....NEVER AGAIN eVGA!!!
Old July 27, 2008, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderhuzar View Post
This is nice: ...but I'd still die before buying anything with an "eVGA" label. Too many burned memory modules...too many vid cards that give "nvlddmkm.sys has stopped working" error....NEVER AGAIN eVGA!!!
Same here - Someone i know who worked at a place I purchased components in the past told me there was a higher than normal failure rate on eVGA motherboards.
Old July 28, 2008, 07:27 PM
Rookie

It's because eVGA like to massively over-volt their products without any regard to the environments they might have to operate in for example an older case with sub-standard ventelation.

I had one of the first 680i chipset motherboards from eVGA, and they burned TWO pairs of Corsair Dominator modules because the mobo decided that 3.5 volts was what my DDR2 DIMM's needed...

My 2 7900 GT's ("KO Superclocked") that I had gave me massive artifacts in Win XP and "nvlddmkm" in Vista, even AFTER I added "full-cover" waterblocks to them (danged den "koosah" - $130 each).

Now I have an eVGA 8800 GTS 320 MB "Superclocked", and my friend has the same one, but it's "KO Superclocked", and we both have massive issues during the summer season. You can't play games for more than 5 minutes. It's rediculous... $300 down the drain...

FCK YOU EVGA!!!
Old July 28, 2008, 09:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why would you not double check the voltages before booting? Ever since they've allowed us to change voltages I have always set mine to spec before booting and ran tests to make sure everything was good. Also; EVGA largely sells reference board designs; and they are manufactured in the same place as just about every other reference board so really there's no difference between them except warranty and minor bios differences or sometimes quality of components, but it's all covered by an immense warranty and insanely good customer service. :)

I'm not a fanboi of any one brand, I just don't think EVGA deserves even remotely such a bad rap.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 28, 2008, 11:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Why would you not double check the voltages before booting?
Think about what you've just said...how is it possible to check voltages when you just got the board, took it out of the box, removed the anti-static bag around it, and put in BRAND NEW Corsair Dominator DIMM's???

I was lucky that I was able to find some cheap Kingston RAM from another computer that I was willing to use as a guinea pig. I stuck the DIMM into my freezer, and set it to max. I took it out after an hour and quickly put it into the board, checked the BIOS, found that the RAM voltage was holding at 3.5, and after my disbelief turned into a heart attack, manually set the voltage to 1.9. Note this was after 2 pairs of dominator modules went into the trash can. I shed more than a few tears that day!

It is disgraceful for a motherboard maker to allow AUTOMATIC voltages to reach 3.5 (maximum) on the first boot and turn very expensive DIMMs into paper weights.

If you google this issue then you will find that a lot of people experienced the exact same (RAM overvolting) issue.

P.S. The GeForce 7xxx series from eVGA had a 60% RMA rate. I had the link to this but it went dead. The root issue for the vid cards was bad RAM, but think about it...60%?!? That's almost the rate at which the Xbox 360 experienced the RROD (red ring of death). I know about a dozen people (in Toronto) with eVGA products, and every one of them has some serious issue with them.

Last edited by alexanderhuzar; July 28, 2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old July 29, 2008, 08:52 PM
MVP

I'd say more like nFarce + eVGA = FTL...
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64
Old July 29, 2008, 09:09 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
I'd say more like nFarce + eVGA = FTL...
My eVGA board has been swell

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderhuzar View Post
It's because eVGA like to massively over-volt their products without any regard to the environments they might have to operate in for example an older case with sub-standard ventelation.

I had one of the first 680i chipset motherboards from eVGA, and they burned TWO pairs of Corsair Dominator modules because the mobo decided that 3.5 volts was what my DDR2 DIMM's needed...

My 2 7900 GT's ("KO Superclocked") that I had gave me massive artifacts in Win XP and "nvlddmkm" in Vista, even AFTER I added "full-cover" waterblocks to them (danged den "koosah" - $130 each).

Now I have an eVGA 8800 GTS 320 MB "Superclocked", and my friend has the same one, but it's "KO Superclocked", and we both have massive issues during the summer season. You can't play games for more than 5 minutes. It's rediculous... $300 down the drain...

FCK YOU EVGA!!!
You can't blame eVGA really as most of their stuff is Nvidia reference designs. So any other manufacturer could have the same problem.
Old July 29, 2008, 09:12 PM
MVP

Hah, good to hear that.

Personally, i won't touch anything nFarce till the stench of dead/problematic/crappy OCing boards leaves all the threads in XS.

That & when nVidia figures out how to price things properly.

My guess is that means it'll either be a damn long time, or never...
Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64