Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2008, 10:32 PM
Associate Review Editor

Default First Look: ASUS Rampage Extreme Motherboard

NordicHardware has posted a first look at the ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard, which is part of the enthusiast-oriented Republic of Games product line.
"ASUS ROG Rampage Extreme is the motherboard that was never meant to be made. Simply because ASUS couldn't picture itself making money from it. It most likely won't, but it still decided to continue working on the board, which we're of course very glad it did. It is because this board is only meant for the truly extreme users, which means that the number of boards that will leave the stores are going to be anything but impressive. On the other hand it is no secret that having a status product will give you an overall boost and ROG Rampage Extreme is certainly a product that could do that.

The motherboard is based on Intel's X48 chipset and supports all of the latest Intel processors, up to 1600MHz FSB. It also supports 8GB DDR3-2000 memory, dual PCIe x16 graphics cards (CrossFireX support), 8 SATA ports, dual Gigabit Ethernet, SupremeFX X-Fi sound card and more."

More...
Old July 10, 2008, 10:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So god damn good looking ahaha
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old July 10, 2008, 11:21 PM
MVP
F@H

That's some serious power delivery! And one good looking board indeed. Unfortunately I don't see myself ever owning an x48/DDR3 board.

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12
Old July 11, 2008, 05:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

Can you say $399.00 - $439.00 retail price...!

Old July 11, 2008, 06:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you're going to be spending that much on a board, may as well wait until Nehalem, UNLESS you want the best now and can't wait. I hate to wait, but if you've got money to spare, Nehalem is where it's at.
Old July 11, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, you know what they say, if you upgrade now, you'll regret it in the future. If you upgrade in the future, you'll regret it at some future thats alittle further away.

So if you really want the board, you should get it. Once Nehalem comes out, intel or AMD will probably announce something new, making you go like "I'll wait for that" and so on. But, IMO, you shouldn't be spending more than $200 on a mobo. Is an extra $100 really worth that extra FPS in a game or that extra point in 3Dmark?

Exactly.
Old July 11, 2008, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've never really suggested anyone to wait, but Intel is making a big step forward in the coming 6 months. IF, a big IF, you have the money to buy the new Nehalem technology, I would highly suggest waiting. However, with a relatively high budget I would probably buy this motherboard with something too.

Of course yo'll always regret what you buy because it gets outdated really quickly, but something big is going to happen by december/january which shouldn't be so bad of a wait for most people.
Old July 11, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Looks awesome, OPB is testing one as well.
Old July 11, 2008, 03:35 PM
Allstar

Personally, If i was to get a new system that costs lots of money, or a new platform, I would actually get a skulltrail board running to mid range xeons running two mod range vid cards.
Old July 11, 2008, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well one person said they waited for a DX10 card but then heard of a DX10.1 coming out shortly after. So now DX11 just got announced and he is waiting for that before he buys a new card. When DX11 comes there will be DX11.1.

Anyways the board looks awesome but going to be too expensive and can not have 3 or 4 cards so it is limiting for the price.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."