Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2008, 01:33 PM
Associate Review Editor

Default ASUS Unleashes Maximus II Formula

ASUS has officially unveiled its new Maximus II Formula, a DDR2 Intel P45 Express-based motherboad that is part of the Republic of Gamers product line.
"FREMONT, CA (June 23, 2008) – ASUS®, worldwide leader in component and notebook design and manufacturing, today releases the ASUS ROG Maximus II Formula motherboard. Based on the Intel P45/ICH10R chipset and featuring an ASUS-exclusive SupremeFX X-Fi sound card, this cutting-edge motherboa rd equips gamers with the necessary performance and features for the ultimate gaming experience. Available immediately through authorize d ASUS North American dealers at an introductory MSRP of $289 USD, the new Maximus II Formula extends the ROG philosophy to deliver ground-breaking performance, uncompromised stability and unique features.

High-Fidelity Audio with ASUS SupremeFX X-Fi Sound Card

The Republic of Gamers is dedicated to delivering unsurpassed gaming experiences for serious gamers, starting with crystal-clear 3D surround sound. Each Maximus II Formula motherboard comes equipped with a SupremeFX X-Fi sound card that takes full advantage of the ADI 2000B audio codec, the Creative X-Fi suite, CMSS3D and the Crystalizer technologies. SupremeFX X-Fi natively supports the EAX standard to produce top-notch virtual 3D surround sound.

Boost CPU Performance with CPU Level Up

With CPU Level Up, gamers can overclock the processor with ease, gaining an additional competitive edge. Once in the BIOS, gamers need only select their desired CPU speed and the system does the rest , fine-tuning the processor and running it at the desired speed with uncompromised stability.

Extreme Engine Design for Exceptional Performance

ASUS’ legendary engineering produced the new ROG Extreme Engine – a next-generation multi-phase power design that provides additional overclocking headroom for extreme computing situations. Based on a 16-phase power design for the CPU, 2-phase for memory and 3-phase for the north bridge; the Extreme Engine provides users with additional voltage options in the BIOS. With only the best quality components, Extreme Engine helps dissipate the load among 16 capacitors as opposed to 8, resulting in more stable power distribution to the various components. This in turn results in a more reliable operating environment; while also improving power efficiency up to 96%. In addition, automatic power management technology ensures that less energy is wasted and less heat is produced."
Source: E-mail
Old June 23, 2008, 02:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

This motherboard is sexy, kinda wished that I waited, however its only the P45 chipset and not the X38/48. So it doesn't have full x16 Crossfire.

Doesn't seem to be a picture of it on the links above so here's one:
Old June 23, 2008, 02:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That's a hellova sexy looking mobo.

Only thing I'd change would be black/gray/red slots to keep up with the colour scheme.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 23, 2008, 02:43 PM
Associate Review Editor

Yeah, it truly is an awesome looking board, and I am definitely hoping to get an opportunity to test it out.

It would be amazing if ASUS (or anyone else) made some Radeon HD 4800 series cards with a similar black PCB
Old June 23, 2008, 03:02 PM
MVP
F@H

That is one sexy board! I love black pcb. But the red from a pair of HD4850s wouldn't look to bad either!

WC Loop: D-Tek Fuzion V2 // Danger Den Maze 5 // Swiftech MCP655 // Swiftech MicroRes // Thermochill PA 120.2 + 4 x Noctua NF-P12
Old June 23, 2008, 03:03 PM
Allstar

Asus needs to knock it off with the naming scheme. I'm getting all confused with all the "rampages", "formulas", "maximus'", etc...
Old June 23, 2008, 03:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankerfx View Post
Asus needs to knock it off with the naming scheme. I'm getting all confused with all the "rampages", "formulas", "maximus'", etc...
The Formula versions are DDR2, Extremes are DDR3.
Old June 23, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, but the Maximus was the X38 and now its the P45...

I guess they didn't want to go with Blitz II Formula, since the Maximus was such a popular motherboard they decided to keep the name alive.