Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2008, 06:28 PM
Associate Review Editor

Default DFI Presents Auto Boost System (ABS) Technology

Yesterday, DFI presented its new Auto Boost System (ABS) Technology which, at the push of a hotkey during POST, will automatically overclock your processor:

"We are honored to present the ABS (Auto Boost System) technology to our dear friends. ABS system is the first auto CPU upgrade technology, just press a hotkey while you're turning on your PC with our DFI exclusive Genius BIOS, it's so easy and user friendly to over-clock your CPU and get the best performance from the start. ABS is completely BIOS-based technology especially designed for easy and auto boosting, user can get faster and steadier system without any pain. ABS technology is patent pending now. We will do our best to protect all our customers' right and promise to provide the best service to the buyers purchased our original legal products through our assigned channels."

Press Release.
Old June 12, 2008, 09:42 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

How is this any different than boards with auto ocing by a percentage? That has been around for years and no one uses it.
Old June 12, 2008, 12:41 PM
Associate Review Editor

From what I understand, this allows you to quickly choose whether or not you want your system to be OC'ed upon boot.

Or, as Tweaktown put it: "The idea is that if you power on your system and intend to play games you hit the hotkey (probably F1) and the system will get a boost straight away. If you intend just surfing the Internet, donít do anything and the system will run at stock speeds and voltage. Quite a novel idea, we have to say."
Old June 12, 2008, 01:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

if its 'auto' why do I have to press a hotkey? Hmmmmm......? doesn't it know what I want?
Old June 12, 2008, 01:33 PM
Allstar

I doubt this thing will find a stable OC for you. So this just saves you from having to go into the bios to load a previously saved profile? A little UI improvement, but not much else then.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old June 12, 2008, 03:05 PM
MVP
F@H

why do companies bother with this kind of crap. First thing we do, we go into the bios, and change all the silly 'boost' options from auto to disable. Don't they realize? If you are overclocking, you are a tweaker, if you are a tweaker, you WANT to tweak. we WANT more options, more tweakability, not the other way around. What a huge, epic waste of time and resources for DFI.

A better feature would be individual cpu core overclock settings, like AMD Overdrive has, but in the bios so that it actually works.

OR even better yet, a stability-testing suite that you don't have to boot into windows to run, so we could quickly go back and forth from bios tweaking to stability testing without having to go for a walk every time windows loads.

Sometimes I feel like the people who make the decisions in these companies don't even own computers. All they own is marketing books, so they keep shoving these 'trademark' 'technologies' into our systems when we want nothing of it. WAKE UP!
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old June 12, 2008, 03:25 PM
Allstar

All excellent suggestions vinister. Those are all much more usefull than this ABS (all bull shit)
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old June 12, 2008, 05:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I agree, I would never use this either. Why wouldnt you want your "boost" when surfing or doing anything else? That is the point of speedstep tech.
Old June 14, 2008, 08:15 AM
MVP
F@H

Ya no kidding, its called CoolnQuiet, or Speedstep, we already have it, and as far as I know we all turn it off when overclocking. ARGH dfi, Argh.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870