Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2007, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default AMD M690 chipset: battery life and graphics performance for mobiles

In this article from X-bit Labes , AMD promises extended battery life and x700 4 pixel graphic processing performance at a very competative price with this new chipset. This doesn't make me wet my pants, but if it's good and cheap, I think I'd definately buy one- especially since my laptops are very secondary to my desktop (just bought a turion at x-mas though).

"The AMD M690 north bridges, which are compatible with AMD Turion 64 X2 processors that use HyperTransport bus, feature built-in Radeon X1250 graphics core (Radeon X700 graphics engine with 4 pixel processors, 400MHz clock-speed, DirectX 9 shader model 2.0 support with 3Dc technology); two independent display controllers allowing to plug-in a DVI/HDMI device, a TV and a D-Sub device (e.g., CRT monitor); as well as a PCI Express x4 controller. The SB600 south bridge, which has been available on the market for nearly a year from now, supports four Serial ATA-300 ports with RAID capability, Parallel ATA, ten USB 2.0 ports, PCI interface, high definition 7.1 “Azalia” audio, and so on.
According to AMD, the Display Cache technology incorporated into AMD M690T chipset can extend battery life by up to 30 minutes over previous AMD mobile technologies since it allows the CPU to operate in low-power mode without accessing system memory."

More from X-Bit