Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2008, 09:12 AM
Allstar

Default Softmodding a 9600 to 8800

This article is very specific, but interesting none the less. Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 I have not had a chance to read through the entire piece yet. I think it is interesting that he found a card with a full 512MB on it although not advertised. Many Galaxy video cards are sold under the KFA2 branding here in the states, so you might be able to find a couple of these close to home to play around with.
The first question is: "Hey, 9600GSO has only 384MB memory, where does the 128MB comes from?"
Very good question, that is why you cannot buy just any 9600GSO and try to mod. You need this specific model, specifically the Galaxy 9600GSO OverClocked edition. Because this card contains 8 memory chips instead of the usual 6, making a 512MB 256-bit configuration.

Discussion

More...
Old June 1, 2008, 10:25 PM
Top Prospect

holy crap 1 of these cards are only about $130.... I wonder if SLI would work properly with 2 of these???

I wonder if it'll work on the non OC version cuz CC sells those.

This should probably work on all the 9600 GT's just need ppl to make the bioses. Wouldn't make sense if the GT's were hardware disabled and not the GSO's.

Last edited by ineedaname; June 1, 2008 at 11:08 PM.