Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Freezer xTREME Launched by Arctic Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/7418-freezer-xtreme-launched-arctic-cooling.html)

SKYMTL May 26, 2008 07:26 AM

Freezer xTREME Launched by Arctic Cooling

Arctic Cooling has launched their Freezer Xtreme today. It looks to be a beast of a cooler with the usualy Arctic Cooling bargain pricing of $40.

Link: Arctic Cooling

Product Spec Sheet: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/downlo...ezerXtreme.pdf

:clap:

Para_Franck May 26, 2008 08:21 AM

Another nice cooler at an affordable price. I wonder How it performs compared to my Scythe Ninja+ rev.b This cooler was also affordable and performs great. It has one flaw and it is the shear size of the thing, witch hangs over the ram and almost touches it. In the end I cannot use any memory with fancy coolers cause they won't fit.

TopDogZero May 28, 2008 10:40 AM

HA HA, I was going to make a thread about this since I saw it today, but luckily I did a search first and you beat me to the punch.
Can not find a review yet, maybe you guys will get one to review, I have a Freezer Pro now and this looks like a good upgrade, it would be nice to compare it to the Freezer Pro even if it is not in the same class and I want to see how it does against the big boys for only US39.95 MSRP..

shadowz January 7, 2009 08:14 PM

Some results

Haven't done a true stress test but it idles at 22 celsius on my Intel q6600, the asus mobo I'm using (P5QL PRO) is pretty decent really got me out of a bind with the 680i not supporting pc8500 ddr2, I don't have a space issue with this though my case has to squeeze in the evga 9800gtx but It'll do till the price on i7 chips & ddr3 mobos come down a bit. I'll have to let the 2006 stress test finish but overall its a good heatsink for its value.

Though be warned although the four plugs to set the base on the motherboard are easy to mount, the bottom of the chassy where the copper heat spreader contacts the chip needs tweazers (or someone helping with them) and you'll still have to thumbwrestle the 1/8" screws to the base with your screwdriver at a 45 degree angle. I've opted to lay my case on the side as a viable workaround but actually mounting it with screws is a task nanite robots need to be invented for.

Peaks at 32.5 degrees celsius on 3dmark06 cpu test drops to 28 during load times. 30.5 peak on the hdmr tests dropping off to 25.5 during load points. Each test runs 3 times, the values look pretty constant though I do have a front and rear fan mounted inside my case for airflow, and the temperature graph I got looks fairly consistant for all 3 tests, great for the 48$ canadian I paid for it plus shipping - pst since I bought it from an online store based out of bc and i'm in ontario.

shadowz January 10, 2009 02:27 PM

Atx Form Factor

Doing this reminded me off an earlier problem I had with SLI; the first time I did a SLI setup I put two of the earliest 2x combo cards on a single pci-e slot and SLI'd them. This did not work with their default heatsink/fans setup because the nature of warm air being lighter and rising created incremental heating problem as the cards went up veritically.

ATX form factor was designed with "office space" being a premium solution but doesn't address the normal physics of heat control, laying a case on its side like the earlier XT and AT models (if anyone is old enough to remember what those are) were the earlier 186 and 286 that had the case horizontally. I remember looking at some early generation dells that would channel the cooling from a fan in front of the case, go passed the small space above hardrives, then the ram, cpu and video card and end up with another fan to push the air out the back and though hmmm thats a pretty good idea for dealing with excess heat.

But having put together multiple rigs, I've come to the conclusion that the horizontal case is much better design from an over clocking or heating schematic as its easier to move the heat that is accumulating at the top of the case as due to the nature of physical laws, that's were warm air goes. Anyways just thought this might be pertinent as its one of the things I like to keep in mind when I start planning on how I'm going to put fan placement in computer cases I work with.

Though the only problem with this is cd drive is vertical, but from the advice of PS2 vertical loading, if you have a dvd/cd driver with a disc tray that holds it vertically, so long as you are careful loading the cd initially centrifical force keeps the disc in place.

Eagle Eye January 10, 2009 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Shadowz how does this case design appeal to you

More information can be found here

RAVEN

EE