Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2007, 07:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Amazing printer technology from Memjet

I'm glad there's a video, or I wouldn't have believed the claims about spitting out photo quality print at a rate of 60 per minute. The miraculous thing is that they will satrt at around $200.

"New inkjet printer technology that analysts believe will revolutionize the imaging industry was unveiled today by secretive Silverbrook Research.
The company has released astounding videos of desktop, photo and wide-format printers that print pages and photos 5 to 10 times faster than products from current printer market leaders HP, Canon, Epson and Lexmark.
“This thing is gigantic, we've been in this business for 20 years and I've never seen something as mind boggling,” says Charles LeCompte, president of leading printer market analysis firm, Lyra Research.
“The technology will be available in products in late 2007, starting with a 100mm printhead that will be used for home and retail photo printing as well as label printing devices. An A4/Letter printhead will be available in 2008 with many different components and technology improvements planned for the future,” the company announced today.
HP, Canon and other printer manufacturers are described as "potential customers", by Memjet Technology, the main company established by Silverbrook to market and license the technology. The company expects the printers to eventually cost $200 or less, sources say."

More from TEXYT
Old March 22, 2007, 04:05 PM
Top Prospect

I am skeptical... but if that actually sees the light of day, it will make a lot of people very happy. The printers are cheap, but I am curious about the cost of the ink itself.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP, OCZ 8GB PC2-6400, EVGA GTX 285 1024MB
Seagate 500GB, 750GB & 1TB, Pioneer 22x ODD, Corsair 1000HX, Thermalright Ultra-120, CM Storm Sniper
Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Ultrasone PRO 750, Gentoo Linux (KDE 4.4, 2.6.32 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Profiles: Last.fm | Xbox Live | Steam
Old March 22, 2007, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah-- there are probably giant pressurized tanks sitting on the floor under the desk hemoraging ink.
Old March 23, 2007, 12:38 AM
Rookie

ya, the cost of the ink is a huge factor, not to mention what evil tactics might be used to control the ink market. that's why i would never own an HP, Lexmark, or any other printer that puts time constraints on their ink to force them to stop working even when there is ink in them.

Canon is the only printer on the market i know of that is worth purchasing.
Old March 23, 2007, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Canon is the only printer on the market i know of that is worth purchasing.
QFT
Thing I love about my Canon is the price of ink, the software for my Multipass blows bigtime though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 23, 2007, 12:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Yeah-- there are probably giant pressurized tanks sitting on the floor under the desk hemoraging ink.
hahahah, kegs of ink in a cubbord... much like syrup as it flows in tubes to a soda pop fountain at a 7-11.

This technology looks neat and all.. but i'm of the belief that this is too little too late. I mean, color laser is making huge in-roads into the home/office because they are now extremely affordable. A) to purchase and B) cost per page. The mainstream consumer is beginning to wise up that the cost per page for color laser is a fraction the cost of their inkjet cousins.

Inkjet solutions still have their place though, as digital camera re-productions on laser printers still produce horrible quality printouts in comparison to any quality level of inkjet printer; it's easy to conclude that an affordable laser printer will not fulfill all of your printing needs. For that reason i run my SD card into Blacks every few months.

I suppose this printer will be a god send to the print-o-holics who need to finance their ink to support their habbits, but I think this technology will see more commercial use than home use mainly due to it's practicality.