Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2014, 03:57 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Oculus VR, Gaming’s Ray of Virtual Reality Hope, Bought by Facebook

In late-breaking news, Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook has bought Oculus VR, a truly innovative virtual reality company.

Read more: Oculus VR, Gaming's Ray of Virtual Reality Hope, Bought by Facebook | Hardware Canucks

Old March 25, 2014, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Someone was going to do this.. Will it flourish now? Don't know.

I've always seen the Rift as a overglorified toy for tech people not something for the general public and probably in the grand scheme of things not sell very well. At least not the first generation until it established it self.

So much first gen tech is so talked about then just dies.
Old March 25, 2014, 04:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm not interested in a Facebook Rift. This is very sad news to me.
Old March 25, 2014, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ew. I wish they would have sought out other buyers, even if it meant less money.
Old March 25, 2014, 05:29 PM
Allstar

So during game play you will get ads and notice of what your friend liked?
Old March 25, 2014, 06:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Minecraft creator Markus Persson has revealed that an Oculus Rift version of the game was potentially in the works, but following the sudden news that Facebook has acquired Oculus VR for $2 billion, that's no longer the case. "I just cancelled that deal," Persson tweeted. "Facebook creeps me out." While gaming has been the biggest selling point for the Rift to date, following Facebook's acquisition it appears that the virtual reality platform will be moving in other directions, as well. "We're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences," Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean there's no chance of Minecraft making the jump to VR — a PS4 version of the game is in the works, which could potentially work with Sony's recently revealed Project Morpheus headset.

Last edited by Birk; March 25, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old March 25, 2014, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
Minecraft creator Markus Persson has revealed that an Oculus Rift version of the game was potentially in the works, but following the sudden news that Facebook has acquired Oculus VR for $2 billion, that's no longer the case. "I just cancelled that deal," Persson tweeted. "Facebook creeps me out." While gaming has been the biggest selling point for the Rift to date, following Facebook's acquisition it appears that the virtual reality platform will be moving in other directions, as well. "We're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences," Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg says. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean there's no chance of Minecraft making the jump to VR — a PS4 version of the game is in the works, which could potentially work with Sony's recently revealed Project Morpheus headset.

This is a perfect example of how people and companies alike do not like Facebook. The OR with minecraft would have been awesome... but nope not no more.
Old March 25, 2014, 07:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I wasn't really planning to buy one to begin with, but now I definitely won't be. I can't image Facebook taking this in the proper direction to benefit the gaming community. They'll likely turn it into something more akin to Second Life so you can live in a VR world with all your Facebook friends.

I guess we'll see what happens, but Facebook definitely has a bad track record of what happens to companies they buy or projects they try to start to move into other markets.
Old March 25, 2014, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I wasn't really planning to buy one to begin with, but now I definitely won't be. I can't image Facebook taking this in the proper direction to benefit the gaming community. They'll likely turn it into something more akin to Second Life so you can live in a VR world with all your Facebook friends.

I guess we'll see what happens, but Facebook definitely has a bad track record of what happens to companies they buy or projects they try to start to move into other markets.
What you don't want to be feeling like you are really working on that farm? LOL.
Old March 26, 2014, 08:08 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post

I was two thirds convinced I was going to get one given how they were progressing now I am 40%. A second life/mine craft hybrid tied to the face book user base should be there end goal. The press release stated they were focused on getting the commercial version done asap. If they release with a focus on supporting games(FB games are not games) and education they should be able to make a user base. The only thing they should try to make for FB is a VOIP for VR for first few years. Even though the path forward should be obvious, I still have more faith that FB will screw up.

I am one of those not on FB and don't like them but if I can play space/flight sims, Be in planet earth not watch it, Walk the moon and make conference calls and feel we all are in the same room I would be willing to put up with them.

Last edited by WiseWilson; March 26, 2014 at 08:16 AM. Reason: state dislike of fb