Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2014, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't understand how this purchase is going to help facebook, other than to just be in all the tech they can be. Maybe this is just simply a situation of "let's buy the next thing and hope it goes huge?" It does worry me if facebook specifically thinks this will be good to facebook itself (i.e. the website) and not just a smart investment.

The issue of kick-starter funding is curious as there are no rules about how this works... In normal scenarios, a person may invest $50k into a company to get them started... but with the expectation to make a return on their money. Kickstarter, you invest $50 to hope the company can make a product you love but nobody else is willing to make. Yet, when a company goes big and suddenly gets $2B, you are going to think "well, where is my share of that pie? I helped you get this far to be able to sell out to someone."
Old March 27, 2014, 05:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

2 possibilities Facebook 'were' cool...and are trying to regain that 'cool' factor by buying cool ideas. Or they bought it for the IP so that they can compete against google and google glasses. Lets face it the dif between VR and Augmented Reality...is not that big.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 27, 2014, 05:10 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
The issue of kick-starter funding is curious as there are no rules about how this works... In normal scenarios, a person may invest $50k into a company to get them started... but with the expectation to make a return on their money. Kickstarter, you invest $50 to hope the company can make a product you love but nobody else is willing to make. Yet, when a company goes big and suddenly gets $2B, you are going to think "well, where is my share of that pie? I helped you get this far to be able to sell out to someone."
There is no issue related to the Kickstarter funding. People who pledge are entitled to the promised reward. Nothing else. That's how it's supposed to work.

Oculus went to Kickstarter looking for 250k to get the idea off the ground in exchange for different rewards which did not include shares in the company.

It earned 2.4M via Kickstarter and then later received an additional 88.6M of venture capital from real investors prior to the recent sale to Facebook. Those investors were actual stakeholders with a say. Had Oculus not accepted Facebook's offer, they likely would have sued.

The fact that a man as credible as John Carmack (a guy who gives game engines away) is sticking with Oculus speaks to the degree of autonomy that's been agreed to.

I doubt any geek or gamer is happy Facebook owns Oculus, but it's simply not our prerogative. We're not even customers. To even suggest a proactive boycott of the product prior to release is absurd. The gaming community is being exposed as extremely childish right now.

The truth is, Oculus probably has much more freedom and breathing room working for Facebook than the firms that provided the venture capital. Almost 100 million dollars of investment does not come without preconditions.
Old March 29, 2014, 12:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

I, for one, am not happy about the new Facebook overlords.

I realize that advertising is the only real way to make money off of a free service (other than selling our personal info to the highest bidder), but in today's society, where advertising is so pervasive and saturating to the point where it evokes cynicism and arguably works against their product, Facebook is shoving increasingly more advertising into our faces. At the moment, it's at the point where every other post on my Facebook wall is an advertisement. (Don't even get me started on Youtube. There's a reason I'm switching to Vimeo for all professional applications).

I fear that Facebook views the Oculus Rift as nothing more than a fancy new advertising platform, and will kill the VR movement through profiteering.

Companies need to make money, sure; but there comes a point where that goal apparently blinds them to what gets them money in the first place: Providing products or services that people actually want to buy/use.
RAM : 4GB DDR2 800MHz (OCZ Platinum)
HDD : Main: 120GB SSD SATA2 (OCZ) Storage: 3TB SATA2 (WD Green) Backup: 500GB External USB (Hitatchi)
GFX : HD4850 (512MB)
PSU : 610W PC Power Silencer
MoBo: Asus P5Q SE
View : Acer H213H 21.5" @ 1920 x 1080

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft, Paintball, and Nerf players. Come join!

I am a Level/Game Designer! http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Old March 29, 2014, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How are they going to force ads?

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 30, 2014, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe being bought by Facebook is the best thing that happened to them, as Facebook has a wad of cash available that they will pour in to make the product a succes.
Old April 8, 2014, 04:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Soon as i seen rumors of facebook buying vr tech the movie Gamer instantly came to mind.knew that movie would come true sooner or later lol.
Old April 8, 2014, 05:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Pretty sure if Facebook can drop 2 billion on this im sure a 10cent addition from radio shack can stream ads in every so often.
Old April 15, 2014, 01:09 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It could be bad or good they may actually release a retail product and not upgraded dev kits. But I still thinks the movie gamer is one step closer to reality.
Old April 15, 2014, 07:08 AM
Rookie

Its gonna be hard to tell how facebook will effect it until they release it so im just hoping facebook isn't as stupid as they seem.