Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2014, 12:46 PM
Top Prospect

I think they should be refunded, The deal is 400 mil in cash so returning the KS money would be less then 1% of their reserves. They don't have to as they provided what they said they would to backers but they have to do something to start combating the bad pr this move has brought them.
Old March 26, 2014, 01:02 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Damn shame....but cant say I blame them. If someone came along and said here is 2 BILLION dollars for your toy that is not even on the market I'd probably do the same. Nothing says they cant take that 2B and invest in other ideas they have...but didnt have the money to do it. Hell let FB kill it...then buy the IP back for pennies on the dollars in a couple years. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 26, 2014, 01:18 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWilson View Post
I think they should be refunded, The deal is 400 mil in cash so returning the KS money would be less then 1% of their reserves. They don't have to as they provided what they said they would to backers but they have to do something to start combating the bad pr this move has brought them.
Right... Oculus should give away millions of dollars because a bunch of people are either confused or unreasonably upset? That doesn't make sense. When you pledge via Kickstarter, your input ends there. You don't have a stake or a say -- unless those are promised rewards. Not that anyone can tell us what pledgers collectively think, even if it was relevant. You want percentages? What about the percentage of people bitching about this deal who are actually backers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
So if facebook had offered him $1m for his company he'd have taken it because facebook is 100% what Oculus needs to make it to market? If he didn't sell out because of the huge price tag and he is 100% only doing whats best then the answer should be Yes.
How is this relevant? We do not know the details, nor should we. It's none of our business.

There is no evidence whatsoever of professional or ethical misconduct. There is no breach of trust or contract. There is no evidence the final gaming product has been impacted negatively. Just a bunch of baseless outrage to generate hits for tabloid news sites.

I hate to break it to you guys, but Oculus has always been a for-profit endeavour. These greedy bastards conspired to earn income from the start! I guess that explains why they're not giving away money after not selling the company for less than it's worth.

Last edited by Desiato; March 26, 2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old March 26, 2014, 01:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The bottom line is that Occulus now has the financial wherewithal to custom make the chips and screens they need rather than rely on cobbled together mobile phone parts. It will mean a cheaper, better retail Rift VR that gets to the market sooner. As long as I don't have to sign into Facebook to use it or buy software to use on it, it's better for me.

Look, Sony has their own VR headset coming. Occulus needed the backing to take this from a small company to a global force in order to maintain their lead in the market. They've got that now. Lets see what the product looks like before crying wolf.
Old March 26, 2014, 02:41 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Why would they? How are they in breach of contract? I'm not a huge Oculus fan, but my understanding is the Kickstarter was to fund the dev units. I believe the promised rewards were fulfilled. A consumer product was never going to hit the shelves without further investment.

I do not see any malice or deceit on the part of Oculus whatsoever. Just a mob angry because something it does not like happened.
Check out the Kickstarter campaign's updates. The funding was for dev kits AND support. Now that has been thrown into the wind from my understanding.
Old March 26, 2014, 03:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Right... Oculus should give away millions of dollars because a bunch of people are either confused or unreasonably upset? That doesn't make sense. When you pledge via Kickstarter, your input ends there. You don't have a stake or a say -- unless those are promised rewards. Not that anyone can tell us what pledgers collectively think, even if it was relevant. You want percentages? What about the percentage of people bitching about this deal who are actually backers?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-game/comments

See comments quick glance I would say 10-1 negative and only backers can comment. about 100 comments since news was released. About 2000 backers backed at below the level of a dev kit for a t-shirt poster or thanks. Hard to say how angry the total vr community is. This is not on what Oculus has to do but what it needs to do regain hype. Offering rebates to everyone who wants one is a good start. They should be making a big announcement saying FB won't be integrated into the hardware. You are not going to have to log in to FB to use the Rift. They need to assure people that the rift won't be walled behind the FB infrastructure. That can come after they have sold 5-10 million of them.
Old March 26, 2014, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWilson View Post
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-game/comments

See comments quick glance I would say 10-1 negative and only backers can comment. about 100 comments since news was released. About 2000 backers backed at below the level of a dev kit for a t-shirt poster or thanks. Hard to say how angry the total vr community is. This is not on what Oculus has to do but what it needs to do regain hype. Offering rebates to everyone who wants one is a good start. They should be making a big announcement saying FB won't be integrated into the hardware. You are not going to have to log in to FB to use the Rift. They need to assure people that the rift won't be walled behind the FB infrastructure. That can come after they have sold 5-10 million of them.
Fact is Occulous has already dug themselves a grave. People don't like Facebook already as it is and for something like this to happen will just make people not want to support the product.

Even if Occulous came out with another product people won't be anywhere near as excited and will be way more gun shy.
Old March 26, 2014, 03:17 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Fact is Occulous has already dug themselves a grave. People don't like Facebook already as it is and for something like this to happen will just make people not want to support the product.

Even if Occulous came out with another product people won't be anywhere near as excited and will be way more gun shy.
Yeah the grave is dug but they have a pile of money for the ladder. They need to get as much of the developer community as possible. They could have multiple contests with million dollar prizes for best vr game, app and educational programs. They need to get the average person who hates face book to give it a chance. They can do that by having the consumer version work as it is supposed to and having a lot of software at launch. Also it would help if they have best hardware and the cheapest price.

But they need to do a lot, I was leaning to getting one and now I am wait and see. Those who were wait and see are now it has to be incredible and have multiple uses for them to give it a chance.
Old March 26, 2014, 03:58 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Check out the Kickstarter campaign's updates. The funding was for dev kits AND support. Now that has been thrown into the wind from my understanding.
Are you referring to the $3000 tier (7 backers) with premium support evaluation? How is it or any other reward (dev center/sdk/docs?) at risk?

Re: Backer comments. All we know is some backers are vocal and concerned. We don't have a measure of how many or how concerned. If there was, it's still not relevant. It's not a democratic process.

Crowd-funding is considered a double-edged sword in many respects. A community with an inflated sense of entitlement is widely considered one of the negatives. Even (especially?) among those who didn't pledge, as evidenced here. Good luck Chris Roberts - I think you might be in for a tough time.

Grave dug? For a product most people don't even know about yet? I have never considered Oculus a sure thing, but to write it off after getting the funding it needs to succeed because a minority of geeks who didn't even pledge are offended because they don't like Facebook? Pure absurdity. It's obvious the developers have mainstream aspirations. 99% of the people you inform of this acquisition will wonder wtf oculus is. No grave dug.

Last edited by Desiato; March 26, 2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old March 26, 2014, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Guys you are way over dramatizing this.

Companies get bought out all the time and still make great products. As far as I understand is that the Oculus team will still be in control. I don't think zuckerberg is an idiot and would through away $2 billion. Now with that said I don't understand why they even needed to be bought out in the first place. Though I doubt anyone of you would resist a $2 billion raise.

Anyways they already have a great product and I will not cancel my preorder for Devkit 2. They are making a peripheral and you will not be forced to watch adds just like you are not forced to watch adds when you buy a keyboard. So everyone needs to calm down.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."