Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 19, 2014, 09:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Chromecast comes to Canada?

Google Chromecast finally comes to Canada - Technology & Science - CBC News

So, does this actually mean anything to us here in the Northern reaches of NA? Not much info WRT content which is a bit ominous......

Is this essentially going to be a smart TV plugin device for dumb TVs?

Edit: Guess I'm not the target market.... looks like it's mostly targeted towards folks who view a lot of content on their smartphones and want to be able to stream that to a big screen.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 19, 2014, 09:46 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I have a smart TV but I still need to plug in a HDMI + adapter if I want to display something from my Nexus devices. IMO, it's an issue with Google not natively supporting DLNA and needing something like HTC's Media Link HD + Wi-Fi Media.

Basically, I count the Chromecast as a bit of a scam considering Google's tablets should have had the interface capabilities built in in the first place.
Old March 19, 2014, 09:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Just early days, but I'm currently having a look to see where they're at WRT streaming XBMC content to the chromecast and/or possibly some kind of VNC.

That would be relatively cool.... having a proper screen to show menus (and setup playlists etc...) as opposed to using the typical devices' gimped dlna playback screen.

edit: Hrmmmmm...... no native flac support for chromecast......

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; March 19, 2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old March 19, 2014, 10:20 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I have a smart TV but I still need to plug in a HDMI + adapter if I want to display something from my Nexus devices. IMO, it's an issue with Google not natively supporting DLNA and needing something like HTC's Media Link HD + Wi-Fi Media.

Basically, I count the Chromecast as a bit of a scam considering Google's tablets should have had the interface capabilities built in in the first place.
Have you tried Allcast?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...shikdutta.cast
Fold for team #54196
Old March 19, 2014, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

Chromecast is a little to late to the table. Most people are running HTPCs now and those who aren't have other means to watch their stuff on the their tvs or other devices.
Old March 19, 2014, 04:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I bought a Chromecast prior to this, about 2 months ago now, and use it for Netflix and Hulu Plus. Works beautifully and is the most seamless solution I've found. Yes, you can use a PC, but it's clunky and cumbersome. There's usually always a phone or tablet in the living room anyways, so why not use it to find what you want to watch?

It also supports Plex so local media streaming is not an issue either. It only recently became free to non-PlexPass subscribers. I've played around with it briefly and it seems to work well. However, I still haven't really switched over to Plex.

You can also cast your entire desktop (or just a tab) from Chrome on any PC at 720p.

It's really hard to explain why you need it, but once you have it, it can become apparent why you do. Depends on your usage though and how technical the other people in your household are. The easiest explanation that I give is that my mom is able to watch Netflix and Hulu without asking me any questions.

Also, Chromecast SDK only became available a few weeks ago, and now that it's launched in more countries, I'd expect apps like CBC, CTV, CityTV, etc will start supporting it too.
Old March 19, 2014, 07:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I bought a Chromecast prior to this, about 2 months ago now, and use it for Netflix and Hulu Plus. Works beautifully and is the most seamless solution I've found. Yes, you can use a PC, but it's clunky and cumbersome. There's usually always a phone or tablet in the living room anyways, so why not use it to find what you want to watch?

It also supports Plex so local media streaming is not an issue either. It only recently became free to non-PlexPass subscribers. I've played around with it briefly and it seems to work well. However, I still haven't really switched over to Plex.

You can also cast your entire desktop (or just a tab) from Chrome on any PC at 720p.

It's really hard to explain why you need it, but once you have it, it can become apparent why you do. Depends on your usage though and how technical the other people in your household are. The easiest explanation that I give is that my mom is able to watch Netflix and Hulu without asking me any questions.

Also, Chromecast SDK only became available a few weeks ago, and now that it's launched in more countries, I'd expect apps like CBC, CTV, CityTV, etc will start supporting it too.
That's good to know. I can think of a few applications that would fill a niche for me, but those all pretty much revolve around local streaming and control and ATM it looks like there wouldn't be any benefit over and above what I'm currently able to do with my networked onkyo receiver.

Old March 20, 2014, 10:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It's definitely a niche market, especially with the Roku Stick coming out shortly too which offers more out-of-the-box than Chromecast.

That being said, it hasn't been the worst spent $50