Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Razer tackles soundcards

Razer is going to use it's street cred earned from producing quality gaming mice to launch a new gaming soundcard into a field dominated by the Creative X-FI cards. Here's a look at the card from hardwarezone.

"Coming from a company whose forte is input technology rather than sound, the Razer Barracuda AC-1 is impressive to say the least. Though our tests proved its competence where games were concerned, the fact that it did not have native multi-channel audio support programmed specifically by game developers meant it was always going to be hard recommending the Razer Barracuda AC-1 to hardcore gamers. Razer still has a lot of catching up to do in an area that's still dominated by Creative Technologies.

It's a different story altogether for those looking for great surround sound for movies and music. Having proven its surround technologies, the US$199.99 Razer Barracuda AC-1 is a great audio solution for HTPCs. Our one gripe is that it doesn’t have a coaxial connection directly on the soundcard for connecting newer graphics card with a HDMI connection with audio by-pass connector. Also, the Barracuda AC-1 has no OpenAL support, further limiting its ability to impress. "

Here's an Image (graphics kinda remind me of an 80's rollertech)
Old March 21, 2007, 03:28 PM
Top Prospect

Not only Razer, but there are other companies that are producing amazing cards as well, such as Auzentech, HT Omega and a few others. A lot of these cards (including the Razer) use the Oxygen 8788 chipset, which kicks major ass... except it doesn't have a DSP.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP, OCZ 8GB PC2-6400, EVGA GTX 285 1024MB
Seagate 500GB, 750GB & 1TB, Pioneer 22x ODD, Corsair 1000HX, Thermalright Ultra-120, CM Storm Sniper
Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Ultrasone PRO 750, Gentoo Linux (KDE 4.4, 2.6.32 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Profiles: Last.fm | Xbox Live | Steam
Old March 21, 2007, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you think the lack of DSP is not a serious shortfall?
Old March 21, 2007, 04:04 PM
Top Prospect

If your main priority is gaming performance (in general and in audio) then yes it is a shortfall. If you have a beefy computer, it won't matter as much as it would if you had a slower computer.

I am not positive, but I believe the DSP is put on the card developer to throw on, so the Razer -might- have it. I couldn't find docs to disagree. I know the Auzentech X-Meridian which uses an 8788 chipset does not have DSP, but it's main focus is music and movies.

I assume since Razer is pro-gaming, then their card has DSP. Their info page doesn't state that though.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP, OCZ 8GB PC2-6400, EVGA GTX 285 1024MB
Seagate 500GB, 750GB & 1TB, Pioneer 22x ODD, Corsair 1000HX, Thermalright Ultra-120, CM Storm Sniper
Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Ultrasone PRO 750, Gentoo Linux (KDE 4.4, 2.6.32 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Profiles: Last.fm | Xbox Live | Steam
Old March 22, 2007, 04:13 AM
Rookie

I think the interesting thing right now is the how Vista has screwed up Creative with their sound drivers and last I knew EAX wasn't working properly. Things were being emulated with OpenAL. So Vista is kinda putting a hurt on Creative until they can get their sound working properly again.