Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2014, 03:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Mobile Phone Interac

First INTERAC Flash? debit transactions made from a mobile phone

I personally think this is pretty neat and how far technology has come. I personally love the tap feature of my bank card and can really make those small purchases go a lot faster.

But to be able to do this stuff without having to take my wallet out? Nice!
Old January 10, 2014, 04:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Meh. Flash will be cool if you can do direct consumer to consumer transfers over NFC though, great for businesses.
Old January 10, 2014, 07:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I find myself using Interac less and less since it offers no tangible benefits for using it. All that it means is that I instantly lose money. Credit typically gives you rewards for usage as well as providing you 21 days to pay.
Old January 10, 2014, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I find myself using Interac less and less since it offers no tangible benefits for using it. All that it means is that I instantly lose money. Credit typically gives you rewards for usage as well as providing you 21 days to pay.
Some of us don't have that option and have to use Interac of which has been very useful to me with my virtual visa debit.
Old January 11, 2014, 02:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

<P>well first things first, they still need to add Visa paywave and Mastercard Paypass on NFC enabled phones because right now the only thing that allows it is a Blackberry Curve on Rogers with a CIBC visa account....</P>
Old January 11, 2014, 08:59 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I love that our mobile phones are going to replace our wallets. If Interac can get this setup properly then its a big step.

That said, there are going to be downfalls to this that are anticipated (ie. security), and some that are not.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 11, 2014, 09:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... am I the only person on the planet who still uses cash for the great majority of my public purchases? I doubt I do more than 3 debit transactions in any month of the year, with most months being zero.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 11, 2014, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

in a perfect society this would be a great thing but unfortunately society will never be this way lots of thieves out that and since it is very easy to clone a phone I wouldn't use interac that way and as it is I prefer Cash only
Old January 11, 2014, 11:04 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh... am I the only person on the planet who still uses cash for the great majority of my public purchases? I doubt I do more than 3 debit transactions in any month of the year, with most months being zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
in a perfect society this would be a great thing but unfortunately society will never be this way lots of thieves out that and since it is very easy to clone a phone I wouldn't use interac that way and as it is I prefer Cash only
I would suspect that if your info gets stolen then any fraudulent transactions will be refunded, similar to debit and credit cards now.

The real question if you are paranoid (and I use that term respectfully) is the tracking of spending habits by even more institutions.

By using debit and credit cards a lot (as I do), its just the banks and various vendors who have primary access to my data. Once I log in to web banking, then I have potentially introduced Microsoft/PC vendors, browser vendors, etc.

By adding mobile payments, now I have added my carrier, phone manuf, phone OS vendors, etc. as potential snoopers and privacy leaks.

To be honest, I have given up worrying about this stuff. I have truly decided that all these entities will get me in one way or another eventually. I'll take the convenience and deal with problems as they arise.

You folks who continue to use cash primarily are just delaying the inevitable. The main advantage I see to your approach is that 'early adopters' will simply iron out the problems first, before you are forced to use these technologies in one way or another.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 11, 2014, 11:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I would suspect that if your info gets stolen then any fraudulent transactions will be refunded, similar to debit and credit cards now.
I'm not so sure that's going to be true going forward... I'm reconsidering my own online banking usage since ScotiaBank seems to have changed it's TOS to require the installation of a program I consider to be a rootkit onto PCs that will access online banking. I have no intentions of installing it, so I'm now unsure of what they will cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
The real question if you are paranoid (and I use that term respectfully) is the tracking of spending habits by even more institutions.

By using debit and credit cards a lot (as I do), its just the banks and various vendors who have primary access to my data. Once I log in to web banking, then I have potentially introduced Microsoft/PC vendors, browser vendors, etc.

By adding mobile payments, now I have added my carrier, phone manuf, phone OS vendors, etc. as potential snoopers and privacy leaks.

To be honest, I have given up worrying about this stuff. I have truly decided that all these entities will get me in one way or another eventually. I'll take the convenience and deal with problems as they arise.
I feel differently and do not believe convenience is a fair tradeoff for allowing marketers to get access to my private information. I look at it much the same way as I do cell phone access.... I use a cell phone strictly for traveling and dialing out. It's not turned on any other times. It's convenient for me in that manner and I have absolutely no intention of reversing the convenience to folks/orgs who might want to be able to call me 24/7 at their convenience. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP