Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2014, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Personally, given how lax most people are with their phones - even those who are otherwise top notch with their electronics security - the idea of phones being able to tap and pay scares me on some level.

I had always been under the impression that debit cards didn't have anywhere near the same theft/fraud protections as CC's did. The notion being that as long as you protect your PIN, the debit card is worthless, so any fraud charges are in some way your own fault. Whereas a stolen CC can still be used online and in a lot of places where the counterclerk can't be bothered to check for ID (i.e. quite a bit of the USA, even now).
Old January 11, 2014, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Personally, given how lax most people are with their phones - even those who are otherwise top notch with their electronics security - the idea of phones being able to tap and pay scares me on some level.

I had always been under the impression that debit cards didn't have anywhere near the same theft/fraud protections as CC's did. The notion being that as long as you protect your PIN, the debit card is worthless, so any fraud charges are in some way your own fault. Whereas a stolen CC can still be used online and in a lot of places where the counterclerk can't be bothered to check for ID (i.e. quite a bit of the USA, even now).
I don't quite know how strong or good it is... But with Android 4.4 (Kitkat) you can now encrypt your phone. So I think if your phone was well encrypted and had a decent pin lock on it while making it not impossible it would still be difficult to get any actual information.
Old January 11, 2014, 05:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm not so sure that's going to be true going forward... I'm reconsidering my own online banking usage since ScotiaBank seems to have changed it's TOS to require the installation of a program I consider to be a rootkit onto PCs that will access online banking. I have no intentions of installing it, so I'm now unsure of what they will cover.
Trusteer Rapport? I've had it installed for a while, I think ING started before Scotia did actually. Never run into any issues, it's actually detected malware before. But yeah I can see why you'd be suspicious of it. It is kind of like a blackbox... no idea what it does or how it works.
Old January 11, 2014, 06:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Trusteer Rapport? I've had it installed for a while, I think ING started before Scotia did actually. Never run into any issues, it's actually detected malware before. But yeah I can see why you'd be suspicious of it. It is kind of like a blackbox... no idea what it does or how it works.
By all accounts it slows browsing down noticeably. It doesn't just affect your online banking, it adds another layer to the processing required to do anything on your PC at the kernel level... kinda like having a security guard at your house who does a full strip search every time anybody (yourself included) wants to get in (or out).

As far as I can tell, it's pretty much strictly a phishing filter, and I'm the only one in the household who opens emails and/or does any online banking so I trust myself to be able to avoid phishing attempts.

Sorry, no thanks.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; January 11, 2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old January 12, 2014, 08:10 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Agree with sswilson no rootkits being installed here on my PC.

Also like the fact if my phone is missing, I can erase it remotely. Add on the encryption that enab mentioned, in some ways the mobile phone is more secure than my wallet. Not sure there are many more wallets that allow me to put a pin on it. Apps like TD, RBC, and Scotia (used them all) require a password to use as well. To access my financial info on my phone would require a few levels of security to be bypassed. I can also use Google or other free security apps to locate my phone remotely.

Steal my wallet? You already have my address, and if you can find a merchant with the paypass thing, etc. then you can rip me off quickly. If you know a merchant that has the old fashioned imprint method to process a Visa then you might have a bit of fun.

I also don't know about you guys, but I would notice my phone missing before my wallet. Between texting, looking things up online, calling, pluging in to charge, etc. I access my phone many times a day. My wallet? I feel around for it and take it out a few times. While the extensive use could mean I will lose mu phone before a wallet, I will notice it gone much sooner, and there are tools to locate it.

I don't think the main security issue here is the phone itself, its the companies with the info that bothers me more. What policies do they have in place to ensure my data is secure? Do they host it on servers in Canada or is it stored in a cloud server in India? Whats the likelihood that an unpaid intern will send an old server hard drive to eBay without wiping it? What are the chances that a govt (home or abroad) will grab the info?

Without knowing the details of how the transaction works, how easy is it to grab passwords, etc. during the transaction with these NFC chips?

So for me its not the phone itself that is insecure, but all the companies and the actual transaction process itself. That said, I am already vulnerable on all these fronts due to my debit and CC use.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 12, 2014, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh... am I the only person on the planet who still uses cash for the great majority of my public purchases?
Am I the only person on the planet who still does not have nor want a cellphone?
Am I the only person on the planet who still wants a carbed, RWD, manual trans, non-computerized car?
etc
Old January 12, 2014, 01:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Am I the only person on the planet who still does not have nor want a cellphone?
Am I the only person on the planet who still wants a carbed, RWD, manual trans, non-computerized car?
etc
You live in a village of a population of 5,000 nobody wants to steal anything.
Old January 12, 2014, 02:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You live in a village of a population of 5,000 nobody wants to steal anything.
It's not that nobody wants to steal stuff, it's that they wouldn't be able to use it if they did without everybody knowing...... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 12, 2014, 03:20 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
etc
I think this list would have been longer if Macjunky's AOL CD had more dialup minutes available on it.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 12, 2014, 03:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The real question here is does Chrisk's wife take this new interac? If so, where do I sign up? She's haaawt.