Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2014, 06:36 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Smoke and mirrors? What I see are shelves full of NVidia cards and completely empty of AMD cards.
You're mistaking crypto currency mining popularity with sales of gaming cards. Not the same.

I'll put this in writing:

If there are more FreeSync monitors that G-SYNC monitors within 9 months from today and AMD has the technology WORKING PROPERLY (ie: up to the level of G-SYNC), I'll put $250 of my own money on the table and give it to someone who's already posted in this thread.

How's that for a challenge?

Some of you may remember I promised the same two other times:

- When I predicted NVIDIA would get surround working properly before AMD ironed out their Eyefinity bugs despite NVIDIA's technology being launched nearly a year later.

- When I predicted that HD3D would die quietly, never to be properly supported.

I've still got that $250 and it's on the table again.

I REALLY want FreeSync to succeed and to give away the money....so I am hoping that this is more than empty promises. But, we will see....

Last edited by SKYMTL; January 13, 2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old January 13, 2014, 10:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Some people seem to miss the point that this is AMD showing off a demo of some little project they've been working on. This is not some announcement "we are bringing freesync to the world." I haven't read anywhere that AMD claims that gamers will be enjoying the benefits of freesync by xx.xx.xx date.
Old January 14, 2014, 03:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

This is it... g-sync is on the shelves.. free sync isn't even in the pipeline.. it's all pomp and posture.

Asus 24" VG248QE Monitor with NVIDIA G-SYNC Kit fitted 3XS Modified - VG248QE-GSYNC - Scan.co.uk

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 14, 2014, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

BenQ announced their G-Sync monitors at CES. The best part is they're available Q1 2014, so thankfully the Asus exclusivity for x amount of time rumors have been put to rest. This gives me hope I'll be able to pick up an upgrade module for my XL2420TE within a reasonable time frame.
Old January 14, 2014, 06:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

After seeing the DIY G-Sync kit's price, I would really love to see FreeSync win and become more popular. I haven't used anything above 60HZ for gaming, let alone what G-Sync/FreeSync would do, but I'd love to try both and see how they fare.

Sadly I just bought two new 24" Samsung PLS monitors. They're decent, but I'm sure there's much better.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old January 15, 2014, 02:19 AM
Trial Member

Those G-Sync kits have an expensive FPGA chip. you can buy them here 5AGXMA3D4F31I3N Altera Corporation | Mouser it is 3: $925.06. I wonder how much G-Sync monitors will cost once its ASIC?
Old January 15, 2014, 06:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I still have a 23 in Sony PlayStation tv I use as a monitor it isn't great but it works for now till that beastly 27" Asus monitor becomes available in Canada.
Old January 20, 2014, 09:36 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
You're mistaking crypto currency mining popularity with sales of gaming cards. Not the same.

I'll put this in writing:

If there are more FreeSync monitors that G-SYNC monitors within 9 months from today and AMD has the technology WORKING PROPERLY (ie: up to the level of G-SYNC), I'll put $250 of my own money on the table and give it to someone who's already posted in this thread..........
SKYMTL is right on the money. I just paid through the nose for a pair of 290X's and as powerful as they are gaming was the last thing on my mind. I want to try the Crypto Currency game. BUT now my PC will constantly consume a KW so it looks like I need to get my solar gear sooner than anticipated.

I like supporting the little guy. I think AMD - despite their shortcomings - have done an AMAZING job of keeping nVidia on their heels the past few years - keeping prices much more competitive (YES I am aware of the irony here ). I bought some AMD stock when it was @ $3 last year - just after they announced a loss because of CPU's causing a small quarterly loss blah blah - anyway it was easy to see people panicked and sold off. AMD was very undervalued. BUT if you were following the PS4 XB1 rumors you KNEW AMD was getting the contracts! They are HUNGRY! They were really the only viable choice for THIS GENERATION to use PC hardware. AMD is at $4.20 a share and I still want to buy more stock when I can BUT I am NOT HOLDING MY BREATH for freesync. But GOLLY I sure am hoping!
Old January 20, 2014, 09:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowarez View Post
I still have a 23 in Sony PlayStation tv I use as a monitor it isn't great but it works for now till that beastly 27" Asus monitor becomes available in Canada.

ASUS did me wrong a few years ago. After paying to ship out 4 RMA's I just smashed the motherboard as it was obvious it would never be fixed properly. I went with them because they had a great rep. They still do. I try to avoid them and make other recommendations to folks when I can to steer them away from ASUS if ever there is a suitable alternative. HAVING SAID THAT Yeah I have been eyeing up that monitor something FIERCE! I was taught long ago "do not cut off your nose to spite your face".
Old January 21, 2014, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I for one will be getting a G-sync monitor. I will be getting at least a 1440p monitor but wouldn't mind a 4k g-sync monitor if they are under a $1000 in a year or 2 from now. I am done with 1080p. I used to have a 1600p monitor and after it died I couldn't justify to spend another $1500 on a monitor so I went back down to 1080p but at least it is at 120hz. But now that g-sync is here and Nvidia demoed a 4k monitor running it that gives me hope as the monitor business has been stagnate for pretty much a decade.

As far as freesync goes all I have been reading is that it is a pipe dream. Not even a single product announced and nvidia has already like 30 monitors announced.

Also @ clshades I find Nvidia works just as good as ATI at connecting to tv's. I also find Nvidia control panel a heck of a lot easier to setup and navigate than catalyst.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."