Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2014, 11:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As someone who really doesn't give a shit I don't find there is a bias towards either graphics card manufacturer on HWC

I've used AMD cards and cpus in the past - when they offer the best bang for the buck.

Right now, the reason I would use an Nvidia card for my customers is GeForce Experience.... I don't have to watch them game at 800x600 anymore - they just click optimize.
Old January 11, 2014, 12:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clshades View Post
Gsync is the smoke and mirrors gimmick which requires an all together more expensive build from top to bottom. And for what? Just for games mainly?
I'd like to hear the response from those who have experienced G-Sync when told its just smoke and mirrors, especially from someone who hasn't experienced G-Sync.
Old January 11, 2014, 02:05 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I haven't seen ANY stock of AMD cards since November and I expect they'll continue to sell out as soon as they hit the shelves. 270's and up. Yes coin mining but it counts... Sales are sales man. When was the last time you saw the price of video cards increasing? Buy stock in AMD not Nvidia.
So you make assumptions on sales because of what you see on shelves? Haha please give us more facts........

Old January 11, 2014, 08:05 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Smoke and mirrors? What I see are shelves full of NVidia cards and completely empty of AMD cards. I'm not gonna get into the "bias" on here AKG because it will just turn into a pissing match and finger pointing he said she said religious hillbilly blood bath.

Fact of the matter is AMD is completely dominating Nvidia in the home ON the TV / Monitor screen. Not to mention their other markets... I haven't seen ANY stock of AMD cards since November and I expect they'll continue to sell out as soon as they hit the shelves. 270's and up. Yes coin mining but it counts... Sales are sales man. When was the last time you saw the price of video cards increasing? Buy stock in AMD not Nvidia.

Gsync is the smoke and mirrors gimmick which requires an all together more expensive build from top to bottom. And for what? Just for games mainly? Whether or not Nvidia is a marginally better card is irrelevant at the end of the day. And all things being equal I've seen my fair share of people whining about Nvidia drivers too. I'll be honest... I am not a fanboi of AMD but I am a fanboi of my wallet.
OK. I will use small words:

FreeSync. Can. Not. Work. On. A. Desktop. Monitor. Right. Now. And. The. Chances. Of. It. Ever. Working. Are. Slim.

The only reason it works on a laptop monitor is how they are built. Mfg'ers will have to change how they build the monitors for this trick to work. A trick that has been known for YEARS now. Do you really think VESA wouldnt have done it by now if it was simply a command signal trick?

The monitor will have to use more expensive internals and it certainly will require an entirely new monitor (there goes any savings you think are there). Do you think if it was as easy as what AMD are inferring that they wouldnt have Samsung/LG/etc lined up and ready to go? Dont you think a monitor mfg'er would have jumped at the chance to do this? The reason they didnt...is they were not told. This is either AMD doing a last minute hail-Mary or going after the laptop market HARD and kool-aid drinkers are misinterpreting what it can and can not do.

Personally I dont give a rats ass if its red/green or hell Intel Blue that does it. Give me a 4K monitor, 60Hz monitor that can be used for gaming on a single card and Im in. Give me 1080p,1200p,1440p IPS screens that finally remove TN from all but budget arena and I'm IN. But this is just PR BS that will do zip for PC enthusiasts.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 11, 2014, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

from a TV out standpoint AMD video cards have always been better in my humble opinion. I have used both brands in the past and NVidia couldn't hold a stick to ATI in the several years I've been hooking computers to TVs. I digress I haven't tried again since the 285 but it sucked compared to even a cheapo ATI card. I have complete confidence that AMD will easily blend into a 4k TV with little trouble considering ATI's history and compatibility with every TV I've ever tried.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 11, 2014, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There is a huge difference between running simple video in a tv out scenario than running games at those resolutions. I'm pretty sure most people will agree with you that when it comes to HTPC usage the AMD cards have been better, but the thing is this has nothing to do with that. This is about a tech that AMD only pushed as a PR stunt to try to take away from g-sync, which from everything I have heard is a real game changer.

Old January 11, 2014, 10:45 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Oh yeah even their APUs kick ass for HTPCs. GREAT KIT.

At 4k its simply a matter of horsepower. Even at 1440P single cards can have a hard time with all the post-processing turned to max. Hell Metro LL puts a hurting on my SLI rig. At 4K this gen, the next gen...and probably the gen after it will not hit 30frames per second consistently. Tricks like async refresh will be the only possible answer.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 13, 2014, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Regardless of who is making who, all that I know is Gsync requires a $200 module that is only for certain monitors (at the moment, only 1080p TN panels, eww). I like where AMD is going with Freesync, and with enough demand I could see display makers having compatible panels (which isn't all it's made out to be, the first thing to do is removing the scaler which is quite desirable anyways).

I'd be excited for refresh sync that works with many monitors, on any graphics card, for free. I'm not that excited for paying $200 to fix a problem that I, personally, don't find to be a game breaker. I'm guessing there's a decent amount of people who agree with my sentiments too... THIS is the ideal way to implement the tech. I just hope that it's possible.
Old January 13, 2014, 02:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Regardless of who is making who, all that I know is Gsync requires a $200 module that is only for certain monitors (at the moment, only 1080p TN panels, eww). I like where AMD is going with Freesync, and with enough demand I could see display makers having compatible panels (which isn't all it's made out to be, the first thing to do is removing the scaler which is quite desirable anyways).

I'd be excited for refresh sync that works with many monitors, on any graphics card, for free. I'm not that excited for paying $200 to fix a problem that I, personally, don't find to be a game breaker. I'm guessing there's a decent amount of people who agree with my sentiments too... THIS is the ideal way to implement the tech. I just hope that it's possible.
Freesync is nothing more but a tech demo on a laptop. Gsync is a solution to a problem which prevents dynamic refresh on desktop displays.

Nvidia has stated they implemented a solution to nudge display manufacturers to eventually supporting dynamic refresh via vblank on desktop displays on their own. Nvidia agrees this is ideal.

There WILL be IPS gsync displays. Overlord has confirmed this: Nvidia G-Sync - Overlord Tempest FAQs and Discussion - Overlord Forum

I hate everyone who politicizes along fanboy lines to obfuscate such a simple topic! There's no evil being done here.
Old January 13, 2014, 07:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to make a few points.

Quote:
Been there before? Excuse me for pointing out the obvious man. Nvidia isn't even playing in the same ball park anymore. Nvidia is just a farm team trying to catch up to life moving on.

Apu, Xbox, playstation, etc etc etc. we all know why you are bias to, ahem, certain hardware. Nvidia is gonna make me pay loads more for marginal performance gains. That's a fact.
You need to stop assuming. Since you do not know what SKYMTL uses in his rigs. Nor what he has used for many years. Stop trying to incite this type of talk, it is not welcome here and you being a long standing member should know that. If you don't know, don't make up a story on it just to bring a point across.

Quote:
Smoke and mirrors? What I see are shelves full of NVidia cards and completely empty of AMD cards. I'm not gonna get into the "bias" on here AKG because it will just turn into a pissing match and finger pointing he said she said religious hillbilly blood bath.

Fact of the matter is AMD is completely dominating Nvidia in the home ON the TV / Monitor screen. Not to mention their other markets... I haven't seen ANY stock of AMD cards since November and I expect they'll continue to sell out as soon as they hit the shelves. 270's and up. Yes coin mining but it counts... Sales are sales man. When was the last time you saw the price of video cards increasing? Buy stock in AMD not Nvidia.

Gsync is the smoke and mirrors gimmick which requires an all together more expensive build from top to bottom. And for what? Just for games mainly? Whether or not Nvidia is a marginally better card is irrelevant at the end of the day. And all things being equal I've seen my fair share of people whining about Nvidia drivers too. I'll be honest... I am not a fanboi of AMD but I am a fanboi of my wallet.
Do you actually know what is in channel? I did this cool thing when the HDD shortage was upon us. I have direct channel distribution access and my General Manager is friends with 3 of the Top players in the Canadian Market for IT supply among others. There were thousands of HDD's at the Distribution level. You can do the same thing to any single solitary piece of computer hardware if so you desire. And it works well in the favor of demand. What you need, to prove your point beyond retail level summary, is show me the actual hard figures of how many cards have been sold. I can make any retail company look like they are selling out constantly if I limit the volume going into their store. Taking a lack of stock as an indicator to great sales is foolhardy at best. Especially when you don't have proof of channel process.

To be honest, I have been happy for AMD to finally have a win with the entire console market. They needed it, their CPU business is in great turmoil and if they didn't get this win it would hurt them greatly, and I for one who enjoy competitiveness would rather they stay in business for nothing else than to keep the other side honest.

Quote:
from a TV out standpoint AMD video cards have always been better in my humble opinion. I have used both brands in the past and NVidia couldn't hold a stick to ATI in the several years I've been hooking computers to TVs. I digress I haven't tried again since the 285 but it sucked compared to even a cheapo ATI card. I have complete confidence that AMD will easily blend into a 4k TV with little trouble considering ATI's history and compatibility with every TV I've ever tried.
Given that you freely admit to lacking 4/5/6/7 series experience in this, I don't think you can say that statement honestly. So, why detract and misdirect when you haven't had the experience otherwise.

Now, on to the topic at hand.

We, can all surmise, take sides and do whatever it is we like while these two companies puff out their chests and make noise in the market. I don't care. The only point that will matter at the end of the day is who puts the technology into the market, and then has it work as promised.
Some might have demoed it either way, but that means nothing until there are units on the shelf, and we all get a chance to see what we will see.

The irony of all this is, it reminds me of Cold War Tactics used by the USA and the Warsaw Pact back in the day. One would announce something that was true, and the other would make a story just so they seemed to be on the same page.
I'm just waiting to see who is who in this case.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com