Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2014, 09:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
If it works and they continue to support it, great. But forgive me for not being excited.
Been this way for AMD products for a while now for me. If it's not available to use already and stable, then to me it's only a concept and AMD has a horrible track record on that front.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 8, 2014, 04:34 PM
Top Prospect

There is already more information out regarding Fteesync and Gsync which shows that things are not as simple as straightforward as originally believed.

AMD Variable Refresh "FreeSync" Could Be Alternative to NVIDIA G-Sync | PC Perspective
Nvidia responds to AMD's ''free sync'' demo - The Tech Report
Old January 8, 2014, 04:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm. I'll sit out the early adopter phase on this war and wait for gen 2 of each company's implementation. Wasted far too much $ being on the bleeding edge for all of these years.
Old January 9, 2014, 01:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'd love to see this work but I'd feel far more comfortable knowing there is hardware behind the tech so a update won't destroy its ability to work. Even if it means more $$$ it will be peace of mind a software update won't break smooth gameplay.
Old January 9, 2014, 01:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Considering I have no plans to buy a gsync monitor or even a nvidia card I will hope AMD can pull this off. nvidia keeps annoying me by making everything they touch proprietary, while AMD at least lets their tech run on nvidia even if it runs poorly.
Old January 9, 2014, 02:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Like all the new features that need GCN??

I agree I'd like to see less proprietary stuff from Nvidia.. But at least it works and does so reliably (generally)

Both have their flaws but for me Nvidia is (at the moment at least) much more polished rather than a "you could do this but we're not going to fully develop it".

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 9, 2014, 03:01 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah from what I read this first round of Gsync will be using faster hardware there next version apparently won't as powerfull as first gen but maybe by then they will have figured out better optimization.
Old January 9, 2014, 04:17 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yeah...no.

Sorry, after other "me too!" flubs by AMD (OpenCL physics, HD3D, etc.) I am taking a serious wait and see approach to this one.
Add Crossfire to that list, ATi totally pulled that out of their ass when nVidia brought SLi into the picture.
Old January 9, 2014, 04:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I was thinking same thing like Xfire was like BF4 horrid and buggy. Least for me it was like paying for steak getting ground beef shaped like steak.
Old January 9, 2014, 06:25 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

As a comment over on PCP put it...Free Sync is better called Wishful Syncing right now.

There is a good reason they used a Laptop and not a desktop + monitor in the demo. They are simply built differently...and AMD is trying to bodge a laptop monitor spec on to the desktop.

It will require a monitor with eDP port, require the monitors scaler to not throw a fit at async refreshing and generally be a hit or miss affair on the desktop. This is why AMD will never guarantee it working on all but a handful of monitors...that are not even on the market right now. AND its why NV went the hardware addon route. NV figured it out and plan on selling the tech to monitor mfg'ers who had zero incentive to spend the RnD on figuring out a way to make it work.

Seriously, this idea has been around for years....and no mfg'er has solved it without expensive hardware additions. If it was as easy as AMD was saying...Samsung/LG/etc would have already implemented it on their 'game' monitors and hyped the hell out of it ages ago. Wake me when AMD makes it offical AND there is a Vendor Support List with more than a handful of monitors on it.

Now to be fair this may actually make laptop gaming better. Wonder if the next Macbook Pro will come with this 'revolutionary' tech. :P

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr