Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2013, 07:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default AMD's “Kaveri”

AMD's “Kaveri” AMD 11/11/2013

from that release
"“Kaveri” is the first APU with HSA features, AMD TrueAudio technology and AMD’s Mantle API combining to bring the next level of graphics, compute and efficiency to desktops (FM2+), notebooks, embedded APUs and servers. FM2+ shipments to customers are slated to begin in late 2013 with initial availability in customer desktop offerings scheduled for Jan. 14, 2014. Further details will be announced at CES 2014."

These new APU's will be FM2+ which I guess means they will not fit onto my current FM2 mobo?

But I suppose if you are getting a new generation APU you'd not want to put it onto an ancient (as in two year old) mobo?

Well - this is for 2014 - which means by 2015 the bugs should be worked out about the time I'd be ready to upgrade this system.

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 13, 2013, 07:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

More about that new chip.

eTeknix A10-7850

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old November 13, 2013, 07:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is what I see:

Kaveri: 512 Stream Processors (or shader units)

HD7750: 512 Stream Processors

All other things being equal (memory bandwidth, ROP's, Texture Units, etc) the graphics part on this chip would be as powerful as a 7750. Astounding.

That being said, memory would probably be the key part holding back this chip. Even with HUMA, it would still be limited by DDR3 memory speeds, hobbling the graphics capability compared to a 7750.

Still though, I am very, very much looking forward to IGP benchmarks with this thing. Up until now, APU's were 'half-assed' in their graphics capabilities. They were almost good enough to play most games, but they still sucked when compared to even sub $100 graphics cards. If this thing has performance even anywhere close to a 7750, the sub $100 graphics card market will essentially be rendered obsolete, and cards such as the GTX650 and HD6670 will no longer have a place in this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
These new APU's will be FM2+ which I guess means they will not fit onto my current FM2 mobo?

But I suppose if you are getting a new generation APU you'd not want to put it onto an ancient (as in two year old) mobo?
The reason for this is HUMA. I assume it needs to be supported by the motherboards in order to work.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; November 13, 2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old November 13, 2013, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

i'm really looking forward to see where AMD takes this style of CPU. Gives a guy so many options if the PC needs to be used for a different purpose down the road. Makes for an excellent file server on a micro board as you can use the 16x slot for a raid card and pound some hard drives in there.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.