Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2013, 05:31 PM
Allstar

Default Rumor: Toshiba buying out OCZ

Saw the news article on Hexus.

Toshiba rumoured to be looking at OCZ as a takeover target - Corporate - News - HEXUS.net
Old October 16, 2013, 06:10 PM
Top Prospect

That can't be good.
Old October 16, 2013, 06:30 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Actually it would be. Toshy need a good controller and the design team behind them. Indilinix is a damn good design and the firmware team do a very good job at teasing out the most from their beast.

The future IS grim for SSD mfg'ers who dont make their own NAND. Their days are numbered. Toshy makes an 'ok' controller...kinda sort. Its also rather dim for SSD controller mfg'ers who dont have mega investments outside the SSD marketplace. IE Marvell are huge in other areas. They can run at SLIM margins and still survive. Same with LSI (the guys who own SandForce now...notice a pattern? /whistle). Both make a fine controller and both have the contacts to keep them in the game.

OCZ...Corsair....Plextor...etc. All their days are numbered in the SSD arena UNLESS they get a controller and NAND fabber. The margins are just too thin and too much money is to be made for the Sammys, Crucial and Intels of the world to 'let up' and let the smaller players stay in the game. Toshiba will be either buying someone soon...or spending a BOATLOAD of money on RnD. With Toshy...you never know which way they will go. But if OCZ has to be purchased by someone it would be a damn fine match for consumers. Great controller + Great Toggle Mode NAND + peace of mind on warranty = good things for consumers.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 27, 2013, 07:08 PM
Allstar

Trading of OCZ stock is suspended. No addition word on Toshiba's rumor take over.

Alas poor OCZ, we knew them well | PC Perspective
Old November 27, 2013, 07:25 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The writing was on the wall folks. We said exactly that in our last OCZ review.
Old November 28, 2013, 01:15 PM

My System Specs

OCZ Filing for Bankruptcy, Announces Offer From Toshiba to Purchase Assets

News | OCZ Technology Investor Relations
Old November 28, 2013, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

TBH, I'm not upset over this at all. What makes me sad is they took PC P&C down with them.
Old November 28, 2013, 07:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Not a big surprise, but hopefully Toshiba makes the best of what they get a hold of from OCZ, the more competition in the SSD market the better for consumers.
Old November 28, 2013, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

The problem is Toshiba hard drives were never good to begin with and always had high failures in my humble opinion.

IF and only IF this happens would they have to seriously rethink their strategy.
Old November 29, 2013, 05:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Once they got out of the ram market I stopped taking them seriously in any aspect.

As for PC P&C, they were doomed before OCZ took them over anyways.