Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2013, 10:02 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I dunno AkG, Ive been using the two 750's I bought six years ago and they are still going strong. Bought one just before and one just after the takeover. People were always bitching because they didn't go modular and refused to give up the single 12v rail.

Guess haw many high end units use a single rail today? Probably most of them.
This is just my opinion, I still prefer single 12v rail and traditional cables in a psu. I'm still with my TX750, which was a toss-up at the time with that famous red PC P&C 750w. I think it came down to the fan configuration for me; the only reason I see for a traditional fan would be in a chassis that covers up the top and bottom of the psu.

But really, what has changed in PSU technology since that era? Better efficiency and modular connectors? Is that it?
Old November 30, 2013, 10:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I really like the modular cable idea. But a single rail with balls to the wall amperage is da bomb imo.
Old December 1, 2013, 10:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandidant View Post
This is just my opinion, I still prefer single 12v rail and traditional cables in a psu. I'm still with my TX750, which was a toss-up at the time with that famous red PC P&C 750w. I think it came down to the fan configuration for me; the only reason I see for a traditional fan would be in a chassis that covers up the top and bottom of the psu.

But really, what has changed in PSU technology since that era? Better efficiency and modular connectors? Is that it?
Single vs multi rail these days is really a non issue. That being said there are a lot of big changes in the PSU industry. Their are OEM's for both Corsair and such that use DSP (or digital) for the actual 12V conversion. The Stability and regulation that is available right now gives a much 'safer' PSU than years past. Modular is almost the standard now unless its a budget PSU. And even then Corsair and other makers have Budget Modular units because of the popularity.

And because of the given efficency now, on both my Corsair PSU's (most other Gold/Platinum units do this too) the fan doesn't even come on. Nice and cool/quiet running.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com