Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2013, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Once they got out of the ram market I stopped taking them seriously in any aspect.

As for PC P&C, they were doomed before OCZ took them over anyways.
The original PC P&C was a awesome and their power supplies were WELL underrated for their time. I had their 750w version and it was like a 850w version.
Old November 29, 2013, 06:48 AM
Allstar

I purchased many OCZ power supplies the 430 watt units with adjustable pots when they came out.
They had a super over the counter warranty as well ... sad to see them go.
Old November 29, 2013, 06:52 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes PC P&C were good for their time....but they did not continue to put money into RnD and did not react to the changing market.

IMHO their only claim to fame was treating the consumer space like a quasi-enterprise market. When others started doing the same (higher temp tolerance, better components, more factory testing) they got run over by the competition and towards the end (ie when OCZ snarfed them up on the cheap)....they were mediocre at best and only trading on their rep.

Oh and Tosh HDD division =/= Tosh NAND Division. Their NAND is some of the best available.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 29, 2013, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I dunno AkG, Ive been using the two 750's I bought six years ago and they are still going strong. Bought one just before and one just after the takeover. People were always bitching because they didn't go modular and refused to give up the single 12v rail.

Guess haw many high end units use a single rail today? Probably most of them.
Old November 29, 2013, 08:50 AM

Yes...but so are a lot of Seasonic's, Zippys and a bunch of others. Hell Corsair's good stuff (Flextronics) comes with 7 year warranties and EVGA's (SuperFlower) come with TEN year warranties.

They made good kit. BUT it is was no better than anything else in its price range. Plus it was louder than the competition over their refusal for the longest while to use top mounted larger fans. Add in non-modular design and you had a company arrogantly refusing to change with the times. Which is sad as the enthusiast market was theirs to lose....and they lost it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 29, 2013, 10:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yes...but so are a lot of Seasonic's, Zippys and a bunch of others. Hell Corsair's good stuff (Flextronics) comes with 7 year warranties and EVGA's (SuperFlower) come with TEN year warranties.

They made good kit. BUT it is was no better than anything else in its price range. Plus it was louder than the competition over their refusal for the longest while to use top mounted larger fans. Add in non-modular design and you had a company arrogantly refusing to change with the times. Which is sad as the enthusiast market was theirs to lose....and they lost it.
Yeah sadly you are right. PC&P wouldn't get ahead of the times and still opted for (Good but old) technology. That being said their gear can withstand the test of time many times over. But would I Worry about them now? No. Flextronics for my PSU needs as the warranty is exceptional.

OCZ's time has come and gone with PSU's and RAM. All that is left for them to do is pair with Toshiba and hope from the two of them we get some kick ass SSD's.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 29, 2013, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes, you do have some valid points. But, iirc PC P&C were still the ones to go to in 06/07. Was corsair or EVGA even in the game back then?
Old November 29, 2013, 03:06 PM

SuperFlower, Flextronics, Seasonic.....hell ZIPPY (and many others) all around loooong before PC P&C. And all adapted to the changing market and thrived (well Zippy could if they came back to the consumer space and got off their whole enterprise 'cloud' kick). PC P&C along with BlockBuster, Digg, Nokia, NCIX all should be studied in Universities on how NOT to run a business.

EDIT:
And even back in 06 they were not the only game in town...just one of the more popular ones (probably because their owner was a loud, self-aggrandizing salesman....just like PT Barnum).

Old November 29, 2013, 03:10 PM

My System Specs

Last PC P&C PSU I had was the original Turbocool 510 back in ~ 04. Cost me north of $200 back then as they weren't available in Canada. It ended up dying within 6 months. Couldn't get it warrantied because their support was awful. Wouldn't ever return my messages. The following year OCZ had their Powerstreams 520s out, which were very capable.
Old November 30, 2013, 03:21 AM
Top Prospect

It was coming for them. It's sad that they had to declare bankruptcy, I would have looked for a buyer from the day stock hit 2 dollars but I'm no CEO so who knows.

From another article I've read, Toshiba may decide to invest just enough to keep OCZ afloat for a little while.

I don't know how much IP is owned by OCZ but I hope at least Indilinx's IP gets bought out and make good use out of them.