Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 22, 2013, 09:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Defeated.
Do you actually know anyone with a Blackberry?
I do, a co-worker of mine has one because his sister-in-law currently works there and got the phone for an employee discount. Other than that, not at all.
Old September 22, 2013, 09:33 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
I am sporting a BB and an android right now... admittedly if I want toys I need a droid. I am looking for a decent way to hook the android up to my exchange... This is where the BB seems to just distroy android. Out of the box the BB just worked(no BES, just active sync to exchange), the android default apps don't do multi calendars, tasks, or contacts worth beans. Started to look around at the 3rd party apps and my head hurts with the crap out there. What are you using for your exchange setup?

As a toy the android seems great, no complaints. But if this was my primary work phone I would have chucked it at a wall by now.
Strange. When my employers opened up our Lotus Notes server (Exchange) for a test run I was able to get my Note II hooked up in about 30 seconds. Just added a new Exchange account and the phone just started downloading emails and calendar appts. Push also worked great. iPhones were also easy to hook up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm001 View Post
It's funny, they are down, but I know of a few local companies including our health authority that just gave their executive employees all new blackberry q10's. I've been talking to people who seem to love them. Mind you, they are upgrading from a previous BlackBerry model, so the BB10 OS is an improvement for them.
In North America, I would like to see the % of Blackberry product broken down into consumer vs. corp sales.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 22, 2013, 09:40 AM
Allstar

Wow things just aren't working out for them. An unofficial version of BBM for Android and iOS got leaked and messed up BB's end of things and now official release is delayed.

BBM Is Being Delayed For Android and iOS
Old September 23, 2013, 02:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Blackberry is going private:

BlackBerry enters agreement for $4.7 billion sale of company to consortium led by Fairfax Financial
Old September 23, 2013, 10:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

RIM was worth around $90 Billion a few years ago...now 4 Billion and change.
Only ones that didn't see this coming were the people running it

Old September 25, 2013, 02:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Its a little dissapointing to see them going private, its a bit late, would have had more effect a few years ago. Its not bad just not what I think should have happened.

And you should all be ashamed of yourselves. Wheres your Canadian honor and pride, all this naysaying over BB.

I personally use a Z10 and have swayed a few people towards the Q10 as well, so sure they don't have Netflix or Instagram, who cares? The OS is very nice and if you do need those apps odds are you can get them though their android versions, especially since the next update will bring them up to date on the android runtime.
Old September 25, 2013, 03:12 AM
MVP

National pride? It doesn't help our nation if we disadvantage ourselves using inferior devices. Besides, BBs resurgence always hinged on success in the US.

BB10 is an interface disaster. I understand how it can be compelling, but it was *never* going to catch on in the mainstream. I am saddened that the leadership who shaped it are going to walk away heavily rewarded for ineptitude.
Old September 25, 2013, 05:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
Its a little dissapointing to see them going private, its a bit late, would have had more effect a few years ago. Its not bad just not what I think should have happened.

And you should all be ashamed of yourselves. Wheres your Canadian honor and pride, all this naysaying over BB.

I personally use a Z10 and have swayed a few people towards the Q10 as well, so sure they don't have Netflix or Instagram, who cares? The OS is very nice and if you do need those apps odds are you can get them though their android versions, especially since the next update will bring them up to date on the android runtime.
BB sort of fell off my radar years ago due to their antique hardware and lack of apps.

In reading a few Z-10 reviews, the main take away seems to be "Nothing special in the hardware, total lack of apps".

So why would anyone buy a Blackberry device? Developers make their apps for Android and IOS, and personally I'd never trust run time versions of an OS when I can get similar and better hardware running the OS native.

I was using dual core, 4.2" android devices a couple years ago.
Old September 25, 2013, 10:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The Q10 is a nice device and I'll always have an affinity for the hardware keyboards of my old Blackberries. If they made it with Android, I'd buy it outright.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:18 AM
Rookie

love my z10, the people criticizing it are people who never used it