Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 24, 2013, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Thoughts on Chromecast?

I'm curious to hear what people's thoughts are on the new Google Chromecast? It's not 'groundbreaking' tech by any means, but application specific streaming rather than screen mirroring could have it's uses. Especially if you're able to multitask in the background while streaming a specific app. At home it would be a minor toy, but for presentations I see it being very useful. Plus you can't beat a $35 price tag.
Old July 24, 2013, 12:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Minor toy at home, I could see this replacing a HTPC I'll eventually need to build, and allow me to take my content with me and go to say my parents, or friends and stream there without the hassle of hooking everything up.
Old July 24, 2013, 12:31 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Show me an Android device that can properly stream 1080P content over a WiFi network and I'll start caring. For the most part, Android and iOS phones have absolutely hideous WiFi performance.

Just imagine the shit this thing will get into when you try to stream a movie over WiFi to your phone and then use that SAME link to simultaneously stream FROM the phone.

I'm of the opinion that the only way this will work is if they use the Wireless AC standard. They're not.

Again we are seeing a ridiculous attempt at recreating the wheel when standards like Wireless HD and Miracast already have this down to a science with high bandwidth DEDICATED wireless communications.
Old July 24, 2013, 02:21 PM
MVP

Most people who stream content (including hd) to TVs are already using wifi.

It sounds like this has the potential to be extremely successful as a quick and easy solution for a variety of tasks.

I am most likely going to buy one as a portable solution for streaming from my phone and notebook.
Old July 24, 2013, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

I don't see much appeal of this really. Sure currently I have to use wires at the moment to stream youtube or netflix from my phone (the fact that my TV already has these installed is anotuher point) but isnt this basically just expanding DLNA to apps now?

Honestly until something along the lines of wireless HDMI actually comes about I don't see any real advantage.

Though I may be an odd one out, I have access to a 50inch TV and I still choose to do all my media consumption on my PC/Laptop. And really, when I need to its not that hard to plug a micro hdmi into my phone

@ Desiato Why would you be streaming from your phone to your notebook? I would have thought that it would be the other way round
Old July 24, 2013, 02:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For $35 I think it's pretty neat, would be great for netflix.

I'm more interested in the new Nexus 7 though!
Old July 24, 2013, 02:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I'm a whole lot more interested in seeing this used as streaming from your PC rather than from your mobile phone or tablet. The ability to live stream from PC to TV via wireless for $35 is excellent. But I haven't been able to nail down any details on how that works. Do you have to stream through Chrome browser? Or can any application be pushed over?

And yes, 1080p performance could be an issue. So hopefully they have the option to stream at 720, which would be fine for me.

*EDIT* Looks like it's application specific, with Chrome being pushed. At least, that's what this banner makes it look like. That's a lot less interesting to me unless it gets picked up by a major media player like VLC. I want to be able to stream content I have already, not just Netflix and such.

Last edited by Caldezar; July 24, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old July 24, 2013, 03:16 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
@ Desiato Why would you be streaming from your phone to your notebook? I would have thought that it would be the other way round
I would stream from my either my notebook or phone to a display while on the road.

The Chrome browser is a bona fide platform. Devs will have the tools to create a variety of PC applications for Chromecast.

It's not much of a stretch to imagine unofficial support outside of the google sdk in the future: vlc, for example.
Old July 24, 2013, 04:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I'm a whole lot more interested in seeing this used as streaming from your PC rather than from your mobile phone or tablet. The ability to live stream from PC to TV via wireless for $35 is excellent. But I haven't been able to nail down any details on how that works. Do you have to stream through Chrome browser? Or can any application be pushed over?

And yes, 1080p performance could be an issue. So hopefully they have the option to stream at 720, which would be fine for me.
It's just Chrome that will push through from the PC, though if you run/have applications that can be run embedded into a website, then full screened you could still get around that.
Old July 24, 2013, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
It's just Chrome that will push through from the PC, though if you run/have applications that can be run embedded into a website, then full screened you could still get around that.
That basically kills it for me, but then again I already have a full fledged HTPC that is on a gigabit network and really most of my stuff would not be able to stream without issues on wifi, I'm talking about 30+Mbps for bitrates.

Now if I could have it stream whatever I want over to the TV then yes for $35 it would be worth it.