Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Nvidia 320.18 WHQL Display Driver is Damaging GPUs (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/62054-nvidia-320-18-whql-display-driver-damaging-gpus.html)

rfglass July 7, 2013 10:24 PM

Nvidia 320.18 WHQL Display Driver is Damaging GPUs

Nvidia 320.18 WHQL Display Driver is Damaging GPUs - ModCrash

I do not use NVidia atm so I just skimmed the page. Since it was posted by Cooler Master on their FB page I thought it would be credible.

Dzzope July 8, 2013 03:19 AM

Hence the reason I don't jump on new drivers for a few weeks, until I see feedback on them.

SKYMTL July 8, 2013 06:03 AM

Here we go again, a few completely random people complain that their likely-overclocked GPUs are artifacting with a newer driver and suddenly the driver is "damaging GPUs"? That looks to me like a small site desperate for traffic using sensationalist journalism to drive impression numbers.

There are countless people here, on XS, on OC.net, on Anandtech, on TPU and other sites that are using these drivers without any issues.

IRQ Conflict July 8, 2013 08:48 AM

Those are actually pretty old drivers. I'm sure I must have had them installed at some point. Didn't ruin my card.

KaptCrunch July 8, 2013 09:33 AM

Didn't ruin my card but had issues of resizing on it's own

crowTrobot July 8, 2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 718980)
Here we go again, a few completely random people complain that their likely-overclocked GPUs are artifacting with a newer driver and suddenly the driver is "damaging GPUs"? That looks to me like a small site desperate for traffic using sensationalist journalism to drive impression numbers.

There are countless people here, on XS, on OC.net, on Anandtech, on TPU and other sites that are using these drivers without any issues.

Yep, the guy who wrote it pretty much admits to sensationalism to get views (his username is Dorkstar and his post is near the bottom of the page):
[MC] Nvidia 320.18 WHQL Display Driver is Damaging GPUs

HUGE difference between driver causing problems to drivers physically DESTROYING video cards.

rjbarker July 8, 2013 09:47 AM

Bunch of crap....really...? I read a Thread on this over at Evga Forum....talk about sensationalism.....been running this Driver since release, no issues ;)

ilya July 8, 2013 05:10 PM

Ran this driver for a week and had a TON of issues. (voltage, power management, heat, crashes, artifacts) But nothing like actual damage to the card.

LarkStarr July 9, 2013 09:23 AM

Dorkstar? I swear it's not me!

What a dorky name though.

crowTrobot July 31, 2013 06:13 PM

I've finally seen one die recently on those drivers and I realized why. It was a DirectCUII GTX 570 which AFAIK ASUS removed power limiter on those unlike all other manufacturer's GTX 500 series cards.