Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2013, 06:03 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The only thing I hope for is a true cross-border plan, especially for me since I'm over in the states on a fairly regular basis, and my Telus pay-per-use doesn't work over there, and I don't want to switch to a plan and be slammed with roaming charges for going 75km across the border.
Old June 27, 2013, 07:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
Or this could turn from Big 3 into Big 4.
I agree. I'm sure Verizon execs have $$ in their eyes - they see a chance for much extra cash influx.

They'll probably offer slightly lower priced plans with slightly higher perks to attract people, but not much of a savings.
Old June 28, 2013, 10:16 AM
Top Prospect

All I know is the Big 3 are going to fight tooth and nail to prevent this from happening, I mean there's just way too much "competition" here already
Old June 28, 2013, 01:49 PM
MVP

Verizon will have to invest a small fortune in order to compete with the big three on a national scale. I wouldn't expect the pricing to be that different after an initial "loss leader" period to build a customer base. All competition helps, but I wouldn't expect a miracle.

While the federal government has loosened the limitations to foreign ownership of a telecom, I haven't heard any rumors that they're opening spectrum auctions to at&t, etc; I think that's baseless speculation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyups View Post
I don't want to switch to a plan and be slammed with roaming charges for going 75km across the border.
There is no difference between 75KM over the border and 1000KM over the board as no Canadian telecom has US towers. I imagine that Verizon will have limits on how they can leverage their US operations if their purchase of Wind goes through.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:08 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I, for one, welcome our new mobile overlords.

Old June 29, 2013, 01:08 PM
Rookie

Snowden leaks delay US anti-hacking law favoured by Verizon

I don't know how much I really trust Verizon after the whole phone records thing...
Old June 29, 2013, 01:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Big companies, big unions and big government. Those are the big three and those are NEVER to be trusted.
Old July 5, 2013, 09:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Its funny, I was over in Australia about a yr and half ago hanging out with my Son for 2 weeks (he was backpacking). Now Australia only has a handful of Cellular Service Providers (much like Canada), yet there "packages" are easily half the price we pay, which really surprised me as everything else in the Country is extremely expensive compared to us.
I convinced my Son to pick up a cheap Cellular phone ($65) while we were in a Mall in Cairns, QLND, pay as you go, super cheap, including $.05 / minute calling to Canada!!!!!

I also have a cell phone package strictly for our Annual Mexico trips, service provider I use there is Telcel...again equilivant to around $25 /month, pay as you go.....

We're certainly getting the "shaft" here in Canada, especially through "Data"!!!
Would love to see AT&T here and would be the first to sign up.