Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25, 2008, 07:40 AM
Allstar

Default Ballmer Says Customers Don't Want XP; Will Likely Be Discontinued in June

The final days for Microsoft XP are fast approaching, according to the Microsoft

A hot debate is raging over what Microsoft should do with Windows XP. Windows Vista is simply not viable for low-end PCs that are a mainstay of the consumer home computing market. Windows XP was originally scheduled to be discontinued in January 2008. In preparation for this phase out, most retail computers were to be loaded with Vista.

However, the lawsuits and negative feedback that ensued from underperforming computers struggling with Vista, led Microsoft to reconsider and offer XP "downgrades". It also gave XP a stay of execution until June 2008, sixth months after the planned date.

Read full article...
Old April 25, 2008, 08:10 AM
Allstar
F@H

Didn't I just read a few days ago they were going to extend it past june?
I must be going crazy.
my next system will be vista64 anyways, so I don't care, but still....
Old April 25, 2008, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good grief...Microsoft is going nuts!!! They need to re-evaluate what an OS should do and get on with making it!
Old April 26, 2008, 08:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I've read scuttlebutt around the internet that MS's managements isn't too happy with Vista these days.
Old April 27, 2008, 10:40 AM
Rookie

I think ballmer better check into the Betty ford clinic for that statement cause he's obviousely under the influence of something.. Sure they will have to kill off Xp sooner or later but it's still a solid operating system and to be honest if I was buying a mid range laptop or doing someone a lower end system I would go xp over vista any day.. For my next desktop I,ll give vista 64 a go as its been fixed somewhat and I,m pretty confident that eventually most of the bugs will be worked out.. Except for the DRM of coarse.
Old April 27, 2008, 11:37 AM
MVP

Talking

Steve old boy if you think corporations let alone average Ma and Pa joe public are going to changeover their units just to load Vista yet you are VERY sadly mistaken.
Some will change...lots won't.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9