Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2013, 01:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default GM Announces Widest Deployment of 4G LTE Services in Vehicles

GM Announces Widest Deployment of 4G LTE Services in Vehicles

Quote:
The first GM cars, trucks and crossovers to get 4G LTE will be most 2015 Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac models available in 2014 in the United States and Canada delivered through AT&T. GM will announce more carrier and supplier relationships in coming months to expand 4G LTE capabilities in markets around the globe.
Old February 25, 2013, 02:44 PM
Top Prospect

Does that mean AT&T has intention of doing business in Canada as well? or will GM be a MVNO using Big3 and AT&T?

This is an interesting article for the cellular service industry.
Old February 25, 2013, 03:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangrisser View Post
Does that mean AT&T has intention of doing business in Canada as well? or will GM be a MVNO using Big3 and AT&T?

This is an interesting article for the cellular service industry.
No, I would say this means that its likely that Bell, Telus, or Rogers will be an approved carrier. Many phones made for ATT work with little or no modification to their basebands in Canada on those networks.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 25, 2013, 05:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

No. This is just anouther reason not to buy a GM in my books (assuming they do the same thing north of the border). I do not want a cell signal in my car. Call me paranoid but I dont want my car capable of sending information back to anyone. There are positives I will admit but the simple fact is I dont need it, I dont want it and its completely unnecessary. If anything the ability to have deeper integration with my cellphone would make much more sense.

Then again I really dont think cars need brains and am completely against self driving cars and automatic transmissions.

and yeah, unlocked AT&T phones work with all our carriers so most likely it will come here as soon as GM makes a deal with a carrier.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post

Then again I really dont think cars need brains and am completely against self driving cars and automatic transmissions.
YES! I bloody well hate drive by wire, traction control, and automatic transmissions.

Cars should do what you tell them to do.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse108dc View Post
No. This is just anouther reason not to buy a GM in my books (assuming they do the same thing north of the border). I do not want a cell signal in my car. Call me paranoid but I dont want my car capable of sending information back to anyone. There are positives I will admit but the simple fact is I dont need it, I dont want it and its completely unnecessary. If anything the ability to have deeper integration with my cellphone would make much more sense.

and yeah, unlocked AT&T phones work with all our carriers so most likely it will come here as soon as GM makes a deal with a carrier.
Most modern cars have onstar or a similar service, so this doesn't really change much.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:41 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
YES! I bloody well hate drive by wire, traction control, and automatic transmissions.

Cars should do what you tell them to do.
Until you drive a 800Bhp Ferrari 430 Spyder, or a 900Bhp GTR, both of which I have had the pleasure. Trust me, you need them.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

I completely disagree about needing traction control and automatic transmissions in ferraris or other super cars. Its just the simple fact that most of us do not know how to control them. To be able to really drive those cars, to really experience them properly you shouldn't have any of that stuff, it dulls the pleasure of driving them.

I don't have onstar and I don't want it, but your point stands, my point is that I don't even want a brain in my car recording everything I do and trying to think for me. Hell I don't even want paddle shifters

the sad thing is while I don't want the car to have a brain I do want one in the cockpit. I want a headsup display and the windshield to be one gigantic transparent screen and I do want and running it all. I just don't want any of that stuff involved in the actual running of the car, its not necessary and it gets in the way of the pure driving experience.

I'm really think though that the best years of the car are behind us, they are becoming much too entwined with electronic and technology. And I really don't think cars are necessarily better than they were 20 or more years ago at this point. Faster and better looking yes but not better in terms of driving experience or anything that matters.

edit: and for the record 900hp is too much for many car to put through its wheels. Its excessive and unnecessary which is why it will destroy the tires without assistance of computers. 500hp will give you all the power and speed you'll ever need and is still controllable and is really all the gtr was designed for anyways

Last edited by muse108dc; February 26, 2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
Until you drive a 800Bhp Ferrari 430 Spyder, or a 900Bhp GTR, both of which I have had the pleasure. Trust me, you need them.
Well first lets just state my levels of pure jealousy for driving anything than a regular old car from North America. I can't comment on those cars at all, but my traction control is half throttle instead of full throttle

There are still guys running 1000HP in all sorts of cars and still using manual transmissions. However if it's drag racing they almost always go to a sort of automatic due to allowing the auto trans to "slip" in order to keep traction on the ground instead of wheel spin. Also, it's easier to stay repeatable in a drag race with an auto, no blown shifts.

Anyway, I really strongly dislike auto transmissions. However, a traction control system I could live with, providing it had a switch to turn it off, and it truly completely disabled when told to do so.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Will this mean that Perinium`s mom`s car will text me when it`s on the way over to my house? This would be great news, as it would allow me to remove the living room window ahead of time...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;