Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   GM Announces Widest Deployment of 4G LTE Services in Vehicles (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/59882-gm-announces-widest-deployment-4g-lte-services-vehicles.html)

Arinoth February 25, 2013 01:30 PM

GM Announces Widest Deployment of 4G LTE Services in Vehicles
 
GM Announces Widest Deployment of 4G LTE Services in Vehicles

Quote:

The first GM cars, trucks and crossovers to get 4G LTE will be most 2015 Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac models available in 2014 in the United States and Canada delivered through AT&T. GM will announce more carrier and supplier relationships in coming months to expand 4G LTE capabilities in markets around the globe.

tangrisser February 25, 2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 692793)

Does that mean AT&T has intention of doing business in Canada as well? or will GM be a MVNO using Big3 and AT&T?

This is an interesting article for the cellular service industry.

chrisk February 25, 2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangrisser (Post 692816)
Does that mean AT&T has intention of doing business in Canada as well? or will GM be a MVNO using Big3 and AT&T?

This is an interesting article for the cellular service industry.

No, I would say this means that its likely that Bell, Telus, or Rogers will be an approved carrier. Many phones made for ATT work with little or no modification to their basebands in Canada on those networks.

muse108dc February 25, 2013 05:38 PM

No. This is just anouther reason not to buy a GM in my books (assuming they do the same thing north of the border). I do not want a cell signal in my car. Call me paranoid but I dont want my car capable of sending information back to anyone. There are positives I will admit but the simple fact is I dont need it, I dont want it and its completely unnecessary. If anything the ability to have deeper integration with my cellphone would make much more sense.

Then again I really dont think cars need brains and am completely against self driving cars and automatic transmissions.

and yeah, unlocked AT&T phones work with all our carriers so most likely it will come here as soon as GM makes a deal with a carrier.

Perineum February 25, 2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse108dc (Post 692850)

Then again I really dont think cars need brains and am completely against self driving cars and automatic transmissions.

YES! I bloody well hate drive by wire, traction control, and automatic transmissions.

Cars should do what you tell them to do.

supaflyx3 February 25, 2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muse108dc (Post 692850)
No. This is just anouther reason not to buy a GM in my books (assuming they do the same thing north of the border). I do not want a cell signal in my car. Call me paranoid but I dont want my car capable of sending information back to anyone. There are positives I will admit but the simple fact is I dont need it, I dont want it and its completely unnecessary. If anything the ability to have deeper integration with my cellphone would make much more sense.

Then again I really dont think cars need brains and am completely against self driving cars and automatic transmissions.

and yeah, unlocked AT&T phones work with all our carriers so most likely it will come here as soon as GM makes a deal with a carrier.

Most modern cars have onstar or a similar service, so this doesn't really change much.

turtletrax February 26, 2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 692894)
YES! I bloody well hate drive by wire, traction control, and automatic transmissions.

Cars should do what you tell them to do.

Until you drive a 800Bhp Ferrari 430 Spyder, or a 900Bhp GTR, both of which I have had the pleasure. Trust me, you need them.

muse108dc February 26, 2013 01:07 AM

I completely disagree about needing traction control and automatic transmissions in ferraris or other super cars. Its just the simple fact that most of us do not know how to control them. To be able to really drive those cars, to really experience them properly you shouldn't have any of that stuff, it dulls the pleasure of driving them.

I don't have onstar and I don't want it, but your point stands, my point is that I don't even want a brain in my car recording everything I do and trying to think for me. Hell I don't even want paddle shifters

the sad thing is while I don't want the car to have a brain I do want one in the cockpit. I want a headsup display and the windshield to be one gigantic transparent screen and I do want and running it all. I just don't want any of that stuff involved in the actual running of the car, its not necessary and it gets in the way of the pure driving experience.

I'm really think though that the best years of the car are behind us, they are becoming much too entwined with electronic and technology. And I really don't think cars are necessarily better than they were 20 or more years ago at this point. Faster and better looking yes but not better in terms of driving experience or anything that matters.

edit: and for the record 900hp is too much for many car to put through its wheels. Its excessive and unnecessary which is why it will destroy the tires without assistance of computers. 500hp will give you all the power and speed you'll ever need and is still controllable and is really all the gtr was designed for anyways

Perineum February 26, 2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtletrax (Post 692921)
Until you drive a 800Bhp Ferrari 430 Spyder, or a 900Bhp GTR, both of which I have had the pleasure. Trust me, you need them.

Well first lets just state my levels of pure jealousy for driving anything than a regular old car from North America. I can't comment on those cars at all, but my traction control is half throttle instead of full throttle :biggrin:

There are still guys running 1000HP in all sorts of cars and still using manual transmissions. However if it's drag racing they almost always go to a sort of automatic due to allowing the auto trans to "slip" in order to keep traction on the ground instead of wheel spin. Also, it's easier to stay repeatable in a drag race with an auto, no blown shifts.

Anyway, I really strongly dislike auto transmissions. However, a traction control system I could live with, providing it had a switch to turn it off, and it truly completely disabled when told to do so.

great_big_abyss February 26, 2013 11:19 AM

Will this mean that Perinium`s mom`s car will text me when it`s on the way over to my house? This would be great news, as it would allow me to remove the living room window ahead of time...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:07 AM.