Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2013, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydu View Post
I found the harmony remotes to be terrible so I am not surprised. I have always promoted URC Control the Experience. Best remotes hands down they also have discrete on/off for major brand Tvs.

What exactly do you mean by discrete on/off for major brand tvs? I mean with my Harmony I can control my tv and thousands of others including on and off. Hell I programmed it to control my portable AC that I put in my living room in the summer. I have always been really pleased with my harmony remotes.

That said I have always been bothered with the whole online part of it. It really should just be a local program that can check online for updates and such.

Old January 27, 2013, 08:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

We have all or most of use using a logitech remote and not your whole system turns on properly then you most likly have to shut it down and start over. For most of us this is not an issue for we understand how to fix the problem, but to our parents wives or friends well this might be a melt down aaiting to happen.

With logitch you on and off code is the same code so when setting up your macro you have to some time put two off TV on TV to set it up properly but with urc remotes you can simply turn the TV on or off so one command not to and this also allows for an easier system set up and jumping from TV to music to whatever. This is real handy with sat,cable or what have you.

Now in harmonys defence I have not been selling audio/video equipment for a few years now. But when I did I never sold a harmony remote where the customer who did not have a problem with it.

Last edited by Jaydu; January 27, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:20 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
I have never looked into these remotes.. I do not understand why your remote for use entirely within your own home requires access to a site on the internet.

Remotes do not need to be online and that is that. So why does this one?

And whatever the reason:
Good. they deserve dropping sales. Perhaps the next company will not jerk the customers around so much.

(oh, logi, how much does it cost you to run whatever server vs allowing the remotes to be standalone and offline? Yea, bite me.)
If you have a TV with a set top box and that's it, you won't benefit from a Harmony. Anyone with multiple devices that need to be turned on alongside the TV will however benefit.

Regarding the internet connection, I think that's pretty self evident. Typically Harmonys that are purchased now were produced months or perhaps even years ago. Alternately, older remotes can be updated to control new devices.

For example, I purchased my Harmony about 5 years ago. I recently updated my TV and receiver from Samsung + Onkyo to Panasonic + an Onkyo TX-NR717 but I found somewhere along the line, Onkyo changed their remote codes. I simply plugged the Harmony in, downloaded the new remote codes and....voila. It worked like a charm.

Regarding Logitech's customer service; I've never had better. My Harmony had battery reading issues six months after the warranty ended. They replaced the whole remote without any questions asked.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Logitech has amazing warranty and support for the Harmony lineup. They sent me a replacement harmony one for the smallest of issues and without any push back.
They also took my feedback when I found certain discreet commands from other similar TVs and asked them to add the command to my TV.

Great support, so hopefully whoever takes over keeps it up.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:09 AM
Cooler Master USA

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I'm thinking to myself: what would I buy instead of a Harmony remote? The answer: I can't think of anything that competes with it....
I used a Harmony One remote for a long time and liked it very much, but the input lag between button press and action was often undesirable.

When we cut the cable and went streaming only we got a Sony Google TV Blu-Ray player. The setup wound up being so useful for controlling our essentials that we didn't bother reprogramming our Harmony One for the new device. The Sony remote is very useful (QWERTY, touchpad, d-pad of sorts, and plenty of menu options) and the player itself can control your AV receiver and TV. There's also an HDMI in for "Live TV", but I've hooked it up to our PS3, Roku, and HD-DVD whenever I needed to and used it like normal.

Day-to-day use usually has the Roku connected so I can access the Roku through the Google TV and still have access to a nice Google TV overlay while using the Roku.

In total, we use two remotes. The second is just for the Roku, but that's hardly a bad trade-off. It's not the same, but it's close enough for us.

CM Blog, CM Forums, CMHD.tv, CMUSA Questions? -
CM FAQ, Live Support
Old January 29, 2013, 11:26 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That lag is configurable... that's the nice thing about the Harmony line up, you can tell it how long to pause between commands and you can do that based on each device even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic-CM View Post
I used a Harmony One remote for a long time and liked it very much, but the input lag between button press and action was often undesirable.