Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2013, 08:38 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Is This Valve’s Steam Box Console? Xi3’s Piston Detailed

After months of speculation, additional details of Valve’s supposed Steam “console” have begun to emerge and it looks like Xi3 will be producing it.

In a press release sent to journalists late yesterday, Valve and compact PC manufacturer Xi3 announced the Piston, a first-stage development computer that’s been optimized for Steam. At this point, both Valve and Xi3 are keeping a whole lot of information close to their chests but some additional details have begun to emerge. What we do know is that Valve has made a substantial investment in Xi3 for the continued development of Piston and whatever mass market implementations may follow.

Read more here: Is This Valve?s Steam Box Console? Xi3?s Piston Detailed | Hardware Canucks

Looks interesting but is woefully underpowered.

Last edited by SKYMTL; January 8, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would hope that the steambox has at least an a10 with a 6670, however that comes with all the issues of crossfire compatibility. I would hope to see an A6 with a mid range discrete gpu like the 7850 or gtx 560 ti. I'd think intel would be out of the question with a reasonable price point similar to a console at release.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
I would hope that the steambox has at least an a10 with a 6670, however that comes with all the issues of crossfire compatibility. I would hope to see an A6 with a mid range discrete gpu like the 7850 or gtx 560 ti. I'd think intel would be out of the question with a reasonable price point similar to a console at release.
Nah I got a AMD Dual Graphics setup in one of my computers and there isn't a compatibility issue what so ever. If Dual Graphics mode is enabled it acts a a single graphics card but more powerful than both the APU and Discrete combined.
Old January 8, 2013, 07:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Your first hope could be possible (I think that would be nice). Don't think your second thought will see the light of day in that compact of a setup.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old January 8, 2013, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really like the layout of the back I/O shield. 4xeSATA ports, 4xUSB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0: that's more than most ATX motherboards give you... I definitely haven't seen four eSATA on a motherboard's rear I/O before.

Hmm so Radeon 7660G likely means mobile AMD A10'ish on the x86 side, so I definitely have to agree that this is underpowered. At 1080p medium details, most of the AAA games on Steam's front page would be CPU bound by that unless they jack up the clock speeds. Getting to the desktop A10 levels would be sufficient for medium, but then the power brick would be almost as big as the "console".

The dimensions seem just barely big enough for a 92mm fan, which I hope is what they're using.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:49 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

More info: Gabe Newell Reveals More Steam Console Details | Hardware Canucks