Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Project Shield, NVIDIA's Upcoming Handheld Game Console (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/58991-project-shield-nvidias-upcoming-handheld-game-console.html)

SKYMTL January 6, 2013 10:47 PM

Project Shield, NVIDIA's Upcoming Handheld Game Console

Project Shield. It sounds like something out of a Marvel comic but this is actually NVIDIA’s latest creation. A handheld, mobile game console that is so much more.

Tonight, before NVIDIA’s CEO Jen-Hsun Huang stepped onto the CES stage to deliver his opening keynote, we were told there would be some surprises. A new GeForce card? The much-rumored Optimus for desktop applications perhaps? How about a closer partnership with ARM? The list was indeed limitless but the actual groundbreaking news was something a bit unexpected: it’s called Project Shield.

Read more here: Project Shield, NVIDIA?s Upcoming Handheld Game Console | Hardware Canucks

Perineum January 6, 2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

By utilizing all of these technologies, Project Shield can play games purchased through the Play Store by linking to your Google account while also streaming content from your PC. If NVIDIA’s GRID technology takes off, Shield will even be able to stream games directly from the cloud, through your internet connection and onto the 5” screen. The possibilities really do look endless.
.... except for Canada. By the time people have downloaded their steam games for the month, updated other cloud storage and watched netflix there is just no more bandwidth available for NVIDIA's GRID technology via the cloud.

Dzzope January 7, 2013 12:56 AM

Get Better ISP's then.. Love having decent speed - price here.. Can get gigabit for about $20 a month with some iptv thrown in to boot..

When I go home I'm really gonna miss the speeds here but even there, there are packages with unlimited download (fair usage policy but I've never been capped)

Perineum January 7, 2013 05:13 AM

Yeah, but this is Canada....

b1lk1 January 7, 2013 06:01 AM

All aboard the fail-bus. Until we are out of the stone ages for internet anything like this fails.

Arinoth January 7, 2013 06:02 AM

Depends on where you live in Canada, Bell Aliant, aka Bell in Atlantic Canada is completely capless, and their pricing on their fibreOp options are rather great compared to cable or their ADSL options.

SKYMTL January 7, 2013 06:40 AM

IMO, GRID won't be a huge part of Project Shield at launch.

Soultribunal January 7, 2013 07:00 AM

This looks really cool, something I could live with considering how much travelling I do.

-ST

b1lk1 January 7, 2013 07:21 AM

If I had just read the article BEFORE opening my mouth, I'd have a vastly different opinion on this. I have to agree, this brings Android gaming to an easy to use controller, this could very well be a good thing, not we just gotta get the devs to code for the controller in all games.

Atleast this is trying to bridge the gap.

ipaine January 7, 2013 08:48 AM

Really for me I find the ability to stream from your PC the most appealing thing. Sure not for everything but I know I would like some games much more, driving games come to mind. Add that to the ability for the android games and it has the chance to be a very good little device. But price I think will be the big factor in this.