Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2012, 04:26 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post

In my books all it means is that they got caught this time, they'll be stealthier next time.
Have to agree with you on that one. No real announcement, just the community keeping close tabs on what has changed and how it MIGHT affect data.

FB is too valuable to me right now as even my grandparents are on it and sharing pictures from back home...it would be too tough for me to retrain them to use something else when I am 1000s of KMs away, along with other family members all over the world on there.

Facebook has grumpy shareholders to answer to now....
Fold for team #54196
Old December 19, 2012, 04:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe it's time to revisit personal websites (vanity sites)? Bandwidth and domains are relatively inexpensive which would allow folks with requirements such as yours to create private family/friends access websites free from corporate interests.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 19, 2012, 05:15 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

But did they actually update the ToS? I don't think so.....
Old December 19, 2012, 06:22 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Maybe it's time to revisit personal websites (vanity sites)? Bandwidth and domains are relatively inexpensive which would allow folks with requirements such as yours to create private family/friends access websites free from corporate interests.
On the otherhand, perhaps it's time for someone with some good coding knowledge to make their own app/service much like instagram, without all the tomfoolery (I love that word).

Now, if only I didn't suck at programming.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post
On the otherhand, perhaps it's time for someone with some good coding knowledge to make their own app/service much like instagram, without all the tomfoolery (I love that word).

Now, if only I didn't suck at programming.
Unfortunately, no matter how altruistic the original intentions are, at some point the business model is going to require that it somehow become profitable which leads right back to personal data being the only real commodity for these kinds of websites. Look at Wikipedia, how long do we seriously think it's going to be around based solely on a donation model? Hosting costs for a globally accessable service don't come free, and most folks aren't willing to pay for them.

Now, if somebody could come up with an easy-to-use social media style software package that could be bundled with a $5 - $10/month private hosting/bandwidth/domain subscription folks might be interested in keeping their private information free from corporate interests.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 19, 2012, 07:55 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Sounds like a great idea, I wonder how hard it would be for somebody to come up with a plugin/skin to automatically watermark before posting to websites like that.
Yeah, I just run a batch script on my images that when I upload them to my computer PS automatically adds a watermark then stores them on my computer. So any image that gets uploaded to my computer from a camera automatically gets watermarked.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:19 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Lol. All these speculators valued Facebook as a 100 billion dollar baby. Now they are trying to figure out ways to make money from it.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:03 AM
Allstar

Then again maybe we could all start talking (you know by voice) with family and friends, and mailing them actual photos they could touch and see and feel and save? Man, what a concept! Real sensory human to human interaction! </irony>

When I have stuff to share with folks I interact with remotely - ie on-line - I just post the materials to my web site asnd give them the URL. You can get a decent small account with good service for about $35/year and a domain name for another $10-15. Spend a couple of evenings learning some basic software and you're good to go. $50/tear and a little learning time is a small price to pay for control over your own material.

Yes I have a facebook account, mostly to preserve my name on an account than for serious use. Nothing is on it that isn't already readily accessible knowledge for anyone with the inclination to look and it's still locked down as tight as possible. I use Twitter primarly as a large RSS feed from mostly information sites/users. The whole "social media" thing is overrated.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Geocities is going to come back with a vengeance lol.
Old December 22, 2012, 08:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tethlah View Post
Geocities is going to come back with a vengeance lol.
then big brother will mark you a terrorist and take you out

internet has become warfare