Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2012, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It would have to be windows because of DX. If Direct X was not owned by Microsoft this world would be a bit better.

It is not easy to port games to Linux. That is why even Valve takes time to port. I can see Gabe wanting it to be Linux based but I couldn't see it sell well as there would be a very small selection of games. The reason why the Ouya has a chance is because it runs Android and already has a large selection of games.

Gabecube would have very little brand loyalty as I think most PC gamers wouldn't rush out to buy one.

Sidenote. I think HL3 will be released alongside the Gabecube. It makes sense. They are confirmed to be working on a new engine and said they were waiting for a title to release it. Well it makes sense to release it with the Gabecube and not on the PS3/360.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 11, 2012, 08:20 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
It would have to be windows because of DX. If Direct X was not owned by Microsoft this world would be a bit better.

It is not easy to port games to Linux. That is why even Valve takes time to port. I can see Gabe wanting it to be Linux based but I couldn't see it sell well as there would be a very small selection of games. The reason why the Ouya has a chance is because it runs Android and already has a large selection of games.

Gabecube would have very little brand loyalty as I think most PC gamers wouldn't rush out to buy one.

Sidenote. I think HL3 will be released alongside the Gabecube. It makes sense. They are confirmed to be working on a new engine and said they were waiting for a title to release it. Well it makes sense to release it with the Gabecube and not on the PS3/360.
Gabecube. Bet you anything you'd probably get a promotion for that system name at valve.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:42 AM
Manufacturer Rep

My System Specs

I like the concept of developers having an easier and more predictable platform to work with, but for me the positives of this are outweighed by the freedom of choices and customization that make the PC my weapon of choice in the first place. For me to consider buying a Gabecube it would need at least a PCIe slot and SATA/eSATA port, and i'm pretty sure it will have neither.
Old January 6, 2013, 12:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't the PS3 use OpenGL? Why does directX matter? Anyways, looks like it's going to be Linux based. Steambox is Linux based and launching this year | Video Gaming Lens | Rumors, Speculations, Leaks, ARG's Still need to find out way more details to see what this is going to shape up to be.
Old January 6, 2013, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Alot of people are tired of building expensive gaming PC's to play Steam titles. If this thing performs atleast as well as current consoles with most of Steams library intact, there is no doubt in my mind it will sell well. Some of you guys seem to forget that most of us on PC forums are the 5-10% that actually build them, the other 90% just want something built for them that works.
Old January 6, 2013, 11:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting! Ignore the bad google translation....

Quote:
Valve employees and mechanical engineer Krasnov said last Saturday, the 29th December 2012, on the SSIM conference on his personal projects: In his spare time he builds body scanners among others - Golem.de reported on his X-ray experiments with tool smuggling chicken. Before 2011 he helped, along with Jeri Ellsworth to build the hardware department of Valve, he built as an entrepreneur, among other input devices for use in computed tomography. The devices used for their experiments scientists in brain research
I chatted with Jeri Ellsworth a while ago with regards to her Amiga stuff - I was very involved in that community until just recently. Here she is with her NES purse. Haha.

She's really smart and at the time was very approachable. I'm guessing she would still remember me, or at least have a faint idea. Time to start investigating.

If I recall, she also builds drag cars with her Dad.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Valve and Xi3's 'Steam Box' codenamed Piston, early specs detailed at*CES | Polygon
Old January 8, 2013, 06:48 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Wow this is pretty cool, but will be interesting to see what all they do, I'm not sure at that size though how much power it can pack graphic wise etc... Also how hot is this thing going to get especially for those of us that have closed cases for all of our surround sound, and blue ray players etc..

Also the price points of the above link are pretty high its going to have to do a lot for anyone to consider doing $999 or even $499

They sure did give it enough ports though wow!

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120