Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2012, 07:47 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
So valve can make a console but they can't finish my HL3?
Damn Priorities, always getting in the way.

-ST
This just made my day.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Something the size of the PS3 or XBox 360 could easily house a powerhouse PC considering the small size of the MITX stuff out and what they can handle.

It all comes down to pricing.

PS: Sadly, I agree that it can't Linux based or it would fail hardcore. I've not used Windows 8 at all, but why wouldn't they just make it windows capable and let the user decide what they put on it?
Old December 10, 2012, 09:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The Xbox doesn't run Windows and it's the best-selling console. The Wii doesn't run Windows. The PS3 doesn't run Windows. No gaming console has ever run Windows.

Why would the Steam box fail simply because it doesn't have Windows? The last thing anyone needs is to be dicking around in Windows Explorer on their TV set.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardric View Post
Why would the Steam box fail simply because it doesn't have Windows? The last thing anyone needs is to be dicking around in Windows Explorer on their TV set.
Because games need to run under a certain OS to run at all...

You cant just take a Windows game and expect it to run under XYW OS.

Lots of work from the publishers to be done for this to happen, hence why keeping it under "a windows" OS would be a good way to go.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:49 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardric View Post
The Xbox doesn't run Windows and it's the best-selling console. The Wii doesn't run Windows. The PS3 doesn't run Windows. No gaming console has ever run Windows.

Simply put: a console needs some form of operating system. Microsoft's uses a kernel that's loosely based off of the primary Windows code (hence DirectX support), Sony uses a proprietary system, as does Nintendo.

If you were a developer, you would have to ask yourself: should I really invest in developing for yet ANOTHER OS. Simply put, the answer would be NO.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

AFAIK it's pretty easy to port an OpenGL-based game over from Windows to Linux, certainly waaay easier than porting from PS3 to Windows, but we see tons of that anyways, don't we? WINE and assoc libs are at a point where a DX9 game can port pretty painlessly too. Note I said port by the developer, not run under emulation. I gather that not many game developers hang out on Hardware Canucks.

Gabe's also demo'd how OpenGL and DX9 games actually run much FASTER on Linux than Windows. Like seriously, significantly faster frame rates and quicker level load times for the same game on the same hardware. The most difficult part of Windows -> Linux ports seems to be installer/FSB issues, and Valve has that part turn-key this time around.

I'm expecting Valve to have many titles ready to go at launch date, probably more than most people expect. Should be interesting.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:15 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

A) I can count the number of worthwhile OpelGL games on a single hand.

B) Just because porting is "easy" certainly doesn't mean resources will be dedicated to it. As far as I understand it, highly optimized code needs to be used in order to get the DX API to run on Linux.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:26 AM
Top Prospect

Microsoft and Windows seems the stumbling block to me. I think that the OS has to be $50 or less of the total system. Priced at $400-499 for it to have any kind of success. Launch it with some or most of Valves back catalog included and it might have a chance. A question to ask is most consoles are sold at a loss to gain market share. Will Valve be willing to do the same? Make Half life 3 a timed pc exclusive and launching it before the holiday season and it could become a real player in living room.
Old December 10, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I feel like this is a good idea for valve with people losing interest in consoles they could capture a large share of the market if they released it at the right time. I'm thinking it would definitely have to be windows as sky said linux is problematic although it would be a nice cost effective system if you didn't have to pay for windows.
Old December 10, 2012, 02:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Buy the system for $700 then a monthly subscription for access to the entire steam library..... hrmmm...