Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2012, 08:05 AM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,404
Default Was Windows RT the Downfall of Microsoft’s Sinofsky?

Weeks after Steven Sinofsky unexpectedly departed Microsoft, sources close to the component upstream supply chain in Asia say Microsoft has dramatically reduced orders for the Surface based on weaker than expected demand.

Digitimes reports that Microsoft has ordered its original device manufacturers (ODMs) in Asia responsible for the Surface to dramatically scale down production of the tablet from four million units this year to two million.


Read more here: Was Windows RT the Downfall of Microsoft’s Sinofsky? | Hardware Canucks
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
BeaverBender's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 260

My System Specs

Default

He should have been fired for this. Microsoft has no experience selling direct and yet he somehow thought it was a good idea to shut out the channel (which sells every other Microsoft product) from this critical new product launch. PLUS, he didn't bother informing the channel that they couldn't sell this product until the last second, so partners who had been talking to their customers about the product suddenly found that they couldn't sell it. The natural knee jerk reaction from the channel was to bad mouth the Surface and tell customers to get one of the Asus products or wait until the Pro version came out, so of course sales weren't as expected. If they open this up to the channel, they "might" be able to salvage some sales but the damage has already been done.
__________________
Creationists make it sound like a ‘theory’ is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night — Isaac Asimov
All thinking men are atheists — Ernest Hemingway
Faith means not wanting to know what is true — Friedrich Nietzsche


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2012, 09:29 AM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,225

My System Specs

Default

I dunno.... I'm not sure windowsRT has a place in the marketplace.

I held off buying a tablet because I wanted a fully windows compatible device that could run all of my desktop software, and plug into my hardware. Without that ability I would have just picked up an android (or webOS) device. The only benefit I see to windows RT is that it has the same look and feel of win8, which sure as hell isn't a selling point in my books.
__________________
EVGA X58 3X SLI / i7 980X / 3X 4G Mushkin Blackline Frostbite / XFX Pro 1000W / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / WD 6401AALS / TT Lvl 10 GT
Swiftech MCP655 WC Pump / EK XT 240 Rad / 2X Scythe Ultra Kaze / EK Supreme HF / Primochill Myriad Dual Bay Res / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2012, 10:09 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

Windows 8 must have had a role too. "Let's give our core customers (Enterprise) an unusable interface because we are trying to make in roads in the mobile market".
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2012, 11:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,369

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Windows 8 must have had a role too. "Let's give our core customers (Enterprise) an unusable interface because we are trying to make in roads in the mobile market".
Don't exaggerate the interface is fine. 1 mouse click and you are at a fully functioning desktop.

Everyone is hating on this windows 8 interface. Honestly metro is cosmetic and for mobile devices whenever you load up your machine is the only time you ever need to see it and one mouse click is all it takes to get to the desktop (there are even apps that circumvent this). It's really not bad guys, it's not even like you are losing time in that mouse click because it boots faster than windows 7 anyways.

it's more like "lets give our core customers more speed and the interface they are used to as well as giving them the option for this interface which mobile users will appreciate and maybe some desktop users will adopt as well.

And for people who complain about the start menu just use the windows button. It looks like your start menu button it is just conveniently located on your keyboard right under your pinky finger. Oh and by the way if pressing the windows button on your keyboard is too taxing just get an app that adds in the start menu on your desktop. Problem solved.

Last edited by JJThomp; November 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2012, 12:04 PM
sswilson's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 14,225

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Don't exaggerate the interface is fine. 1 mouse click and you are at a fully functioning desktop.

Everyone is hating on this windows 8 interface. Honestly metro is cosmetic and for mobile devices whenever you load up your machine is the only time you ever need to see it and one mouse click is all it takes to get to the desktop (there are even apps that circumvent this). It's really not bad guys, it's not even like you are losing time in that mouse click because it boots faster than windows 7 anyways.

it's more like "lets give our core customers more speed and the interface they are used to as well as giving them the option for this interface which mobile users will appreciate and maybe some desktop users will adopt as well.

And for people who complain about the start menu just use the windows button. It looks like your start menu button it is just conveniently located on your keyboard right under your pinky finger. Oh and by the way if pressing the windows button on your keyboard is too taxing just get an app that adds in the start menu on your desktop. Problem solved.
Truth be told, that never occured to me at all. I'll have a look at it the next time I'm in a store with a pile of win8 laptops.... if it works as advertised (as in the same way it does under windows7) it seems such a simple solution that I'm curious as to why it hasn't already been put out as an obvious and easy route to full start button functionality.

If it works for me, I might actually take the plunge and give it a full try on my laptop (assuming the drivers are there) to see if any of the other annoyances folks have mentioned (IE10 default/non default issues won't bother me as I use it anywise).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Post edit: Just wanted to set the record straight on this in case anybody sees this post and thinks that it's a solution... it is absolutely not a solution to the lack of a start button, or method to launch desktop programs. All it does is switch between the metro and desktop interfaces, it doesn't in any way allow for easy launching of desktop programs.
__________________
EVGA X58 3X SLI / i7 980X / 3X 4G Mushkin Blackline Frostbite / XFX Pro 1000W / EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB / Intel DC S3700 200G / WD 6401AALS / TT Lvl 10 GT
Swiftech MCP655 WC Pump / EK XT 240 Rad / 2X Scythe Ultra Kaze / EK Supreme HF / Primochill Myriad Dual Bay Res / Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP

Last edited by sswilson; December 2, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2012, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,369

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Truth be told, that never occured to me at all. I'll have a look at it the next time I'm in a store with a pile of win8 laptops.... if it works as advertised (as in the same way it does under windows7) it seems such a simple solution that I'm curious as to why it hasn't already been put out as an obvious and easy route to full start button functionality.

If it works for me, I might actually take the plunge and give it a full try on my laptop (assuming the drivers are there) to see if any of the other annoyances folks have mentioned (IE10 default/non default issues won't bother me as I use it anywise).

Thanks for the suggestion.
NP I have been playing around with it for the last 4 days and it really is pretty good. People just keep spreading false information and I am getting tired of it. If you want the windows 7 experience it is available for you, if you want the mobile experience it is available. If you want to interchange both (like I do now) you can do that too. Live tiles make your interface much more interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
altereDad's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 55

My System Specs

Default

I don't want to waste money on the the interface or have to use another program to eliminate it. It'll make it take longer to boot than Win7. =P

Another omission is POP from its mail client. Many installs of alternate clients have I done because of this omission.
__________________
Need caffeine!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
great_big_abyss's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,190

My System Specs

Default

I may have to splurge on an upgrade download. Is it still $40?

EDIT: I wonder what would happen if I upgrade to Win8, then in a month decide to wipe my system and reinstall windows. Will I have to install Win7, then download Win8 upgrade again?
__________________



HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old November 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
BeaverBender's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 260

My System Specs

Default

Here is a comprehensive (and very useful) list of all the Windows 8 shortcuts:

List of Windows 8 Shortcuts - Yash's Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

It starts off with all the Windows Key shortcuts.

I'm not sure if sswilson and jjthomp are on the same page as to what the Windows Key will do when you use it on its own in Windows 8 though.
__________________
Creationists make it sound like a ‘theory’ is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night — Isaac Asimov
All thinking men are atheists — Ernest Hemingway
Faith means not wanting to know what is true — Friedrich Nietzsche


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft Talks Windows 8 on ARM Devices Sam_Reynolds Press Releases & Tech News 0 February 9, 2012 02:53 PM
Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Live Mail shaman44 O/S's, Drivers & General Software 4 April 6, 2010 06:29 PM
Microsoft Simplifies the PC With Windows 7 FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 4 October 22, 2009 03:43 PM
Microsoft to sell Windows 7 for $65 stoanee O/S's, Drivers & General Software 74 July 3, 2009 08:06 PM
Microsoft sees end of Windows era Killswitch O/S's, Drivers & General Software 29 August 12, 2008 02:30 PM